Bend and Break

Hey guys! I wanted to provide a quick warning. The next few chapters are going to deal with themes of sexual assault. If you think reading about that could be harmful, please don't risk it. :)

Derek
I collapsed into the king sized bed, rubbing my heavy eyelids. I had wanted to stay at the hospital, but Bailey had sent me home and assured me they would page me with any news.

"You look like crap, and you smell bad. Go home Shepherd!"

I couldn't take my eyes off the empty half of our bed.
Not even 36 hours ago I was laying next to my happy, beautiful wife.

How did we get here? And how do I make it stop?

I pulled her pillow into my chest, breathing in the smell of lavender. I resorted to silent sobs as I tried to cling to memories of her.

What if those memories are all I have left?

I must have fallen asleep, because as soon as my eyes snapped open I winced at the bright daylight shining through the window.

I quickly realize that I had been woken by yelling. I recognized Amelia's voice, and shot out of bed.

"What's wrong? Are you alright?" I exclaimed as I ran into the kitchen. Amelia stood near the island, pale as a ghost. In one hand she held an open envelope, in the other a small white square.

"Meredith." She murmured. I grasped her shoulder, steadying myself as she handed me the polaroid grasped between her fingers.

The image showed Meredith. She was unconscious, bruised, and beaten. She seemed to be laying in a stone cellar, and her arm was chained to the floor.

Written in pen along the white boarder was "3 days."

A tightness formed in my chest. Seeing her like that made this whole situation feel real. My wife has been kidnapped.

"Derek?" Amelia's urgent tone pulled me from my thoughts.

"Huh?" I said, looking up at her tearing eyes.

"We need to bring this to the hospital. It's evidence." I nodded, slipping the photo into my pocket and turning to the sink to splash my face with cold water.

"Amelia, what do they mean by 3 days?" I asked, standing up straight.

"Maybe it's how much time we have to find her." She replied solemnly.

Meredith
"Please stop." I groaned. I barely had enough strength to speak, let alone defend myself against the muscular man atop me.

"Don't pretend you don't like it, you little whore." Paul snapped back.

I felt my eyes glaze over, and I drifted away into my thoughts. I recalled ancient memories, from my time at Dartmouth.

Our relationship hasn't always been bad.  It started off with study dates in the campus coffee shop, and hand holding on the way to class.

But over time, his grip tightened on my hand until I had no choice but to drag alongside him. Americanos in the library turned into whiskey in his apartment.

Things got bad before they got worse.

I bought turtlenecks to hide the bruises. I learned to like black coffee out of necessity. I watched as my best friend Sadie left for Europe without me.

"You're a slut. You think I'm gonna let you out of my sight long enough to screw a bunch of European men?"

The first time he penetrated me against my will, I was hardly surprised. I was ashamed that me, a smart, powerful woman has been taken advantage of like that.

I blamed myself.

So when I fled Boston to do my internship in Seattle, I promised myself this was a secret I would keep forever.

I buried myself in sex with kind men, and then I grew the hell up. I created a family, a job. The bruises faded, the scars healed, and the memories settled to the back of my mind.

Finally, Paul pushed himself off of me. A bead of sweat fell from his forehead, landing on my check and mixing with my tears.

He grunted in pleasure as he walked away.

How did I get here? And how do I make it stop?

Sorry for the slow chapter! I really wanted to establish Meredith's past relationship with Paul so you guys will understand the story better moving forward.

Please comment and vote if you'll like another chapter! I'll try and update again tonight :)