Chapter Twenty-Four: Ginny's Advice

Harry was at the Burrow when the letter from Draco arrived. Stepping into the kitchen for some privacy, he read it once, twice, three times before crumpling it up into a ball and throwing it across the room.

"What is it, Harry?" Ginny asked quietly from the doorway. Once they'd gotten over the initial sting of the breakup, the pair had found they were still very good friends, much to both their relief.

"Nothing, Gin." Harry wiped a hand across his face.

Putting her hands on her hips, she said in such a Mrs. Weasley voice it scared Harry, "Don't you dare lie to me, Harry Potter. Does this have anything to do with your trip to America?"

Harry gaped at her. "How'd you know?"

Ginny rolled her eyes. "You've been acting different ever since you got back, off. Now, are you going to tell me what the hell is going on?"

Glancing around the room, Harry said, "Let's take a walk."

Getting the hint, Ginny went to grab her coat. Summer had faded into autumn, leaving behind a distinct chill. Once far enough from the Burrow for extendable ears not to work, Harry began. He found once he started, he couldn't stop, and Ginny had always been a good listener when she chose to be.

"Well," she began, "can't say I was expecting that. Not that I wasn't expecting it. It was always pretty obvious there was something more than hate between you two."

Harry gaped at her. "How could you have known? I only just figured it out!"

"Some of us are less obtuse than others, Harry."

He grunted at her, unsure of what to say.

"So what are you going to do now?"

"What do you mean? He's made it clear, hasn't he?" Harry refused to let hope stake a claim in his heart.

"What he made clear was that he's scared, and that's it."

"How can you say that?! He kicked me out!"

"If I remember correctly, you're the one that left, Harry."

He opened his mouth and then closed it. Ginny was right. He had left. "But he didn't come after me."

"How could he? Did he know where you were? How do you know he didn't try and just couldn't find you?"

Harry opened his mouth and then closed it.

Ginny continued, "And you know how Malfoy is – he's too proud. He's probably terrified of being rejected again; I mean, look at his life. It hasn't exactly been rainbows and flowers."

"But I just want him to try."

Ginny was quiet for a moment. "I think his letter was him trying. He extended the invitation for you to go back. That took some courage. He's a Slytherin; courage isn't exactly his strong suit."

"What if he's just playing with me?" Harry whined.

"That's something you have to risk. And for what it's worth, I don't think he is. Now let's get back before we're missed."

They walked silently back to the house. "I think I'm going to write him another letter," Harry broke the silence."

"I think that's a wonderful idea."

Once in the house, he grabbed a quill and piece of parchment before retiring to Arthur's study to get away from prying eyes.

Draco –

What a pitiful excuse of a letter. I thought you were supposed to be the eloquent one.

Sorry for what exactly? Sorry for pushing me away? Sorry for being a git? Sorry for not being able to do more at Malfoy Manor that night? Pray tell me what, exactly, you're sorry for.

I'll be taking time off to come see you soon. We have unfinished business.

Harry

He received a letter the next day.

Harry –

I look forward to your arrival.

Draco

Harry sat on his bed, staring at the words. "Huh. Ginny was right."