Chapter Eight: Home Sweet Home

Harry followed Draco down to the parking garage, the silence between the two men heavy.

"I'm sorry if I overstepped my boundaries," Harry finally said.

Draco sighed and shook his head. "It's fine. I know how Dr. Peters is."

"We didn't talk about anything bad, Draco. I promise."

The blond grunted as he stopped before a beat-up Toyota Corolla. "You know how to drive?" Harry asked in wonder as Draco unlocked the door.

He rolled his eyes. "Of course I do, Harry. How else am I supposed to get to and from work?"

Harry slipped into the passenger seat. "It's just so... muggle."

Draco stared at Harry. "I work in a muggle hospital. I'm surrounded by muggles constantly."

Harry squirmed. "It's just so..." he trailed off.

"Unlike the Draco you grew up with?" he supplied helpfully.

Harry nodded.

"Well, things change, Harry. Things change." Draco started the car and backed out of his spot.

As they drove along, Harry had to admit that Draco was an excellent driver. After several minutes of silence, Draco said, "How'd you get here?"

Harry grimaced. "I took an aeroplane."

Draco laughed. "It's a long flight, isn't it?"

Harry nodded. "Is that how you got here?"

"Yea. It was confusing and loud."

"I can only imagine since it's a muggle contraption. How did you get a visa? I couldn't find your name anywhere on the lists."

Draco chortled. "I paid off an agent to let me in. Money can get you anywhere."

"But you haven't touched your bank accounts since you went missing."

"I siphoned off enough money while I was planning to keep me safe through the first year here. Since then, I've been working. I took out student loans for school, of course."

Harry stared at Draco. He had no idea who the person sitting beside him was. Whatever he had expected when he started searching for Draco, this wasn't it.

Draco stopped the car, and Harry climbed out. He eyed the small apartment complex. "This is where you live?" Harry had expected a grand house like Malfoy Manor, not a modest apartment.

The other man shrugged as he started up the stairs. "It works for me."

When they entered the small apartment, a black blur rushed at Harry. "Whoa!"

"It's just Corvus, he's not very friendly..." he trailed off as Harry picked up the cat and started cuddling it, Corvus purring loudly. "Or not," Draco muttered under his breath. "I'm not even surprised the Golden Boy has tamed my cat."

Harry laughed. "I love animals."

Draco rolled his eyes. "You can sleep on the couch. It's a pull-out."

Harry's grinned slipped slightly. "I really appreciate this, Draco. Thank you."

Clearing his throat, Draco nodded, staring at a spot above Harry's head. "Not a problem, Potter. You came all this way for me, after all."

"Back to Potter, is it? I think we're past that, Draco. It's Harry."

Harry was surprised to see Draco grin crookedly at Harry, displaying a dimple he didn't know the other man had. "Okay, Harry."

Harry's stomach flipped over, and he wasn't sure why. "I would love a shower," Harry blurted out.

Draco blinked at him. And then blinked again, a suspicious gleam in his eyes. "That reminds me, Harry. Did you interrupt my shower the other night?"

Harry looked away, embarrassed. He remembered exactly what he had seen while in the shower with Draco – it was ingrained in his mind. "Ummm... yea. That was me."

"Harry!" Draco cried, horror crossing his face. "I was naked!"

"I didn't know!" Harry yelped. "I just wanted to make sure you were still alive before I went galavanting after you any more! I had no clue you were naked and wet!"

Draco stared at Harry. "You... you were checking to see if I was alive?"

Harry sighed in exasperation. "Draco, you're titled the Boy Who Disappeared in the newspaper. Your missing person's case is still talked about. Hell, even your mother is half-convinced you're dead."

"Good."

"What?"

"I vanished for a reason, Harry."

"And what was that?" Harry asked, getting more and more irritated as the conversation progressed.

"Because no one wants me! All anyone can see when they look at me is a Death Eater! I couldn't stand it anymore! No one cared that I disappeared, beyond it being a good story!" He was breathing hard by the end.

"I cared," Harry whispered.

"You what?" Draco looked bewildered.

"I said, I cared."

"Why?"

Harry bit his lip. "I don't know. But I've always cared, ever since you vanished."

Draco was silent for a moment. "Towels are in the hall closet. I'll start dinner."

"Dinner? It's 6:30 am."

Draco rolled his eyes. "I've been at work since 6 pm. This is my dinner. But we can call it breakfast if it makes you feel better."

Harry rolled his eyes. He sent down Corvus, who had been snuggling with him the entire time, and headed towards the shower.