14 | Unpaid Dues | 14

-Clay's POV-

From the minute George's eyes spot that bee plushie, I know something is wrong. Recognition seems to strike him as he picks it up, watching dried blood flake away as he turns the toy over in his hands.

"I..." he stops, squinting at the object. "I... know who this belongs to. Or belonged to, I guess," he corrects, signalling to the blood splattered over the walls.

"There were these people I met once," he continues. "Three of them, that used to live here. I only stumbled across them on accident, after getting injured in the forest once."

George brushes the bee off with his sleeve, trying to remove as much blood as possible. "One of them loved bees, I'm almost certain it has to be his if it's here."

My boyfriend clutches the plush tightly, chewing on his lip furiously in an attempt to bite back tears. His eyes can't seem to focus, darting fearfully between the blood-streaked walls.

I waste no time in taking the frightened boy's hand, pulling him closer and wrapping my arms around him tightly. He pulls his glasses over his eyes in embarrassment, failing to hide the tears already spilling down his cheeks. "I'm so sorry," I mumble quietly, gently brushing away a few droplets before hugging him tighter to my chest.

I spot Nick pacing the room behind George, searching for any other remnants. "There was this guy I knew once that said he had a friend who loved bees," he shrugs. "An elite assassin, that is. Sort of an ex-assassin now. I think he still lives in the area though. His name is-"

"Fundy?" George interjects, pulling away from me when Nick answers with a nod. "He's the guy who used to live here. Wouldn't surprise me if he's an assassin now, he did seem like that sort of person."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I snort. "Do us ex-assassins give off some hostile warning?" George cringes slightly, as if forgetting my past occupation. Even if it was only for a few weeks, I was an assassin once too. "Yeah, you do. Any elite assassins are weird, ex-assassin or not." I pretend to look insulted, deciding its worth it for the small smile that tugs at George's lips.

"So anyway," Nick interrupts loudly. "Yeah, I'm talking about Fundy. Pretty sure he still lives in Central City and looks after this teenage boy or something."

"Toby?"

"Might be. I think he goes by Tubbo or something now. Some weird nickname a friend of his made up, apparently."

"You mean he's still alive?!" George shrieks, grabbing Nick by the shoulders. "So, you stood here and watched me cry over this boy, thinking he was dead, when you knew damn well he wasn't?!" He shakes the assassin's shoulder with every word he spits through gritted teeth.

"Woah!" Nick pulls away with ease, putting some distance between him and George. "I didn't know it was definitely him! It was just a suggestion!"

While the two argue, I decide to look around the room. Something definitely happened here, the place covered in jagged splinters from rotting wood. It's clear that someone was badly injured at least, most likely died.

The blood is denser on the west wall, which is strange when the main entrance is on the south side, with the only other entrance on the east. Yet the place in which the person who died, did, is nowhere near any of the exits.

It looks like whoever was killed was caught off-guard, which would most likely be the work of an assassin. But in a room this covered, the kill looks to be committed by someone inexperienced. Definitely not the work of an assassin, and the person who died doesn't appear to have fought back. Not the work of an elite assassin, that's for sure.