Part Seven: Rum and Coke

If I hadn't already dreaded this pool party, now I feel even worse. I knew Alex wouldn't want me there, but he wasn't even polite enough to hide it. I can't help but wonder what happened to the guy I met at Jensen Hotels that night, he seemed different - He seemed nice. Patrick's dad, however, definitely not the kindest of people.

Patrick pulls the car into his dad's driveway, the house is gorgeous, typical Upper East Side living. Before pulling into the driveway Patrick had to enter a code at the gate. As he gets out of the car, I linger, looking at the house in front of me and thinking of all the possibilities of how terribly wrong this could go. Before I can finish my thought process Patrick is already opening the door for me with an ever so charming smile.

"You don't need to be nervous to be around my family, I know my dad can come off strong but the rest of them are great. Plus, Hilary is eager to meet the beautiful girl I've been talking about," His grin stretches from ear to ear and I can't help but smile at his enthusiasm, if only I have half of the excitement that Patrick does.

"Okay, I'll try to shake it off. But this isn't my world, you know this and not everyone can be as down to Earth as you are."

"If that's another way of you telling me how amazing I am, then thank you. You're not so bad yourself." Patrick winks at me before taking my hand and helping me out of the car.

As our fingers intertwine, he guides me up the pathway towards the large home and doesn't bother knocking. He opens the front door and calls out for anyone willing to answer, having nothing but silence returned.

"I can give you a tour," He suggests to me.

I shake my head, "No, it's fine. We can just get to the party. I'm sure everyone is waiting on you."

"Okay, but I wanna show you around later. It's pretty great, honestly." Patrick seems in love with this place, he has always spoken so highly of his dad's house and I know that showing me around would mean a lot to him.

I can't help but take note of how beautiful this place is, I'll give it to Alex, he does have decent taste in interior design. I'm surprised a man could decorate so nicely, but I also haven't met a rich man before so clearly there's some differences between a Jensen and the men back in Portland.

We get to the kitchen before a young girl with a blue one piece bathing suit walks in, hurrying to the fridge. She stops when she sees Patrick and then her eyes flick to me, "Patrick, is this her? This is Avery?"

"Jeez, Hilary. Be more obvious, won't you?" He chuckles, sliding his arm around my waist before nodding in response to his younger sister, "This is her. Just as pretty as I described, right?"

I feel my cheeks burning and I hit Patrick gently on the arm, begging him to stop. I hate having so much attention on me which is why I've always hated meeting my boyfriend's family. Being the center of attention is not my strong suit and I know I'm in for it today.

Hilary looks more like Patrick than Alex. She's blonde with big blue eyes, so I imagine their mother is a blonde or perhaps they get their hair from someone else in the family. Alex's hair is dark, very dark. I had always assumed dark hair was a prominent trait, but I've been proven wrong.

"Heads up, Patrick. Dad's in a mood." Hilary warns.

Patrick responds with an annoyed, "Isn't he always?"

I'm still stunned that the charming man I met at the hotel ended up being an obnoxious asshole. I dread seeing Alex again today, now that I'm in his home when he clearly doesn't want me to be here. It's going to be more awkward than I can handle.

I can't seem to hide in the kitchen forever, Hilary is eager to get Patrick outside and I follow behind. When we reach the backyard there's maybe ten people scattered. Some in the pool and some sitting on lawn chairs. I notice that Alex is at the barbecue with his back away from the house and I take the opportunity to find a lawn chair far away from him to sit.