Part Ten: Dinner at Dad's

"You look hot," Patrick says to me.

I'm standing in front of the mirror at a Neiman Marcus store. This store carries designer dresses and this is where Patrick decided to bring me. The dress that covers me is a beautiful blue, hugging my curves perfectly. But the problem is the word Patrick used. Hot.

"I don't think hot is appropriate when trying to get a job," I remind him, heading towards the changing rooms again.

I hear Patrick chuckle as I close the curtain, "You don't need to use it for work. You can use it for events I'll take you to. When my dad's hotel opens in Paris we can fly there and you can wear that sexy dress for me."

"Spending $2,500 on a dress to just look sexy is a bit ridiculous," I speak louder so he can hear me through the curtain and I reach for the next dress, something more professional - a black dress that covers my cleavage and zips in the back, I've paired it with  blazer and it really does look like I'm a fit to work for the likes of Klaus Conrad. 

I push the curtain open and step out, doing a small spin to see what Patrick thinks. His eyes wander to my legs and a smirk plays on his lips, "Really beautiful. You look... amazing. As always, Avery."

"Pretend your Klaus Conrad." I tell him.

He furrows his eyebrows, "I..."

"Hi, Mr. Conrad. I'd like to apply for the designer position at your New York location," My voice is sweet as I act like I intend to when meeting the real Klaus Conrad.

"You're hired!"

I laugh at Patrick's eagerness, rolling my eyes playfully. What a goof. As I return to the changing room, I take the dress off and look at the tag. Holy fuck. I can't let Patrick pay over four thousand dollars for the dress and blazer - it's too much.

I can hear an associate approaching Patrick as I pull my jeans back on. She offers to help him if he finds anything he needs and Patrick responds, "My girlfriend actually found something she's fond of. Here, take my card and when she comes out you can ring it through."

Pulling my white t-shirt over my head, letting it fall loosely against my frame - I pull the curtain open to see Patrick's head turn to me, "I decided against it."

"What? But you looked amazing... I thought you really liked it." Patrick seems confused, but he doesn't push it. He never pushes me when I say something and I appreciate that, he respects me and there isn't much else I could want from a man.

"I'm sorry, maybe we can come by another time to look at more. I'm just way too tired to look anymore today."

"Of course, babe. Whatever you want," Patrick smiles at me, standing from the lounging chair that he's sitting on and turning to the woman, "Sorry about that, miss. We will be back another time, however."

I really hoped we wouldn't be back, this store just makes me feel badly about myself and I can never see myself allowing Patrick to pay so much for something for me. It just isn't in my nature. I'd much rather go to a place where I can buy my own clothing, like Walmart.

***

Patrick opens the passenger side door for me as we reach his car outside of the shopping plaza. As I sit in the front seat, he walks around the front of the car and settles himself into the driver's seat.

He starts the ignition before looking over at me, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." I manage a small smile, not wanting to get into how I have my own sense of pride and I'm reluctant to let him do extravagant things for me, especially while our relationship is so new.