Behind

"You really don't need to call me every night before a test to tell me to sleep," Jaemin smiles to himself when he hears Mark sigh over the call.

"Are you sure about that?" Mark sounds annoyed. "Who almost missed his exam over lack of sleep and exhaustion, hm?"

"Okay, okay. I promise I won't do that again," Jaemin even puts his hand to his chest as he says the words. Mark hums in agreement and starts talking about something else. It's barely past 10 as they continue talking. They hadn't spoken in a while due to Jaemin focusing only on his studies and Mark being busy over discussing his choice of universities with his teacher.

Just thinking about Mark graduating made Jaemin frustrated. They weren't going to have their after-school classes in that classroom on the third floor anymore, neither were they going to be able to see each other when walking around the school. It would probably be a lot emptier without Mark around, even if Jaemin was still surrounded by all of his friends.

"After you graduate," Jaemin says after a few moments of silence pass through. He hears Mark take a deep breath at the mention of next year. "We'll still talk, right?"

"Well," Mark laughs a little. "I don't think we'd be able to stop talking if you come first."

Jaemin's reminded of their deal and immediately reddens at the realisation that he had completely forgotten about it. Mark says a few other things to make him feel even more embarrassed and he quickly ends the call, making up an excuse of having to fall asleep. Just before the call ends he hears Mark mutter a small 'good luck', and that's enough to help Jaemin go to sleep.

-

"Just for today," Jaemin pleas, he even purses his lips and blinks his eyes dramatically. He sees Mark's will waver before he finally gives in and lets Jaemin put the cat ears onto him.

There was a week left till Mark's last exam and there they were, standing in the middle of a bustling crowd, holding cotton candy in one hand, a drink in the other and a matching pair of cat ears stuck on their heads. It was all Jaemin's idea. He had suddenly appeared at Mark's doorstep, tickets to the amusement park a few hours away and a large smile on his face. Despite having the stress of upcoming exams holding him down, Mark agreed to spend the day out but only one. And one day was all Jaemin needed.

"We've gone on almost all the rides at this point," Mark sighs and collapses onto one of the nearby benches. "We've been here for over five hours, when are we going home?"

Smiling at the fact that Mark was still shaking his leg with excitement, Jaemin pointed at the one ride Mark had been trying his best to avoid. "After we ride that one we'll go home, how's that?"

Mark's mouth hangs open and he turns from Jaemin to the rollercoaster and then back. "Jaemin, Jaemin, Jaemin— listen here," Mark grabs his shoulder and pulls him down to eye level. He's glaring and looks like he's ready to hit him, but Jaemin can't help but giggle a little. "You know I'm terrified of roller coasters, and you're suggesting we go on one where we don't have anywhere to put our feet and basically are thrown into the air? What if the screws come loose and we go flying up, huh? What would you do then?"

"Then we'll sue the amusement park," Jaemin answers, practically laughing at this point. "Mark! It's not going to suddenly break down coincidentally when we choose to go on it."

"I'm not going," Mark stomps his feet and sinks lower in his seat. "You can try anything but I will not move my feet, at all!"

Jaemin grabs his arms and tries pulling him, but for some strange reason, Mark's incredibly strong and stands his ground. This goes on for a few more moments before an idea comes to Jaemin's mind, a very silly idea and he knows he probably shouldn't do it, but he gets lost in the spur of the moment and leans forwards, caging Mark between his arms and quickly kissing him on his lips.