Letters of Love (RoWen)

"Excuse me Miss but Wendy Marvell need's to go to Headmistress Extallie's office."

My head snapped from the spot I was supposed to be staring at and the book that was balanced precariously on my skull tumbled to the floor with a thump. 'The History of Fiore' fell to the floor and opened up on 'Chapter 13: Famous Dictators', which I tried to use to cheer up my mood. At least Headmistress Extallie was kind to me, kinder than the other headteachers that I've had to deal with before.

Everyone's head snapped to stare at me, the thud echoing through the room as the eyes bore into my soul, I could feel myself turning bright red as they watched me pick up the book and place it in my desk, standing up with my fringe covering my eyes as best as it could and walking out of the room. The sniggering followed me down the hall, every classroom revealing countless eyes that followed my movements as I passed them. My eyes met a pair of blue ones down the hall but they immediately turned away, almost as if it was embarrassing to make any contact with the social pariah of Saint Shagotte's Finishing School for Girls.

I found myself in front of the door I had been called to, smoothing down the front of my dress before I knocked lightly on the wood, staring worriedly up at the words 'Miss Carla Extallie. Headmistress.' as a quiet voice called for me to come in.

I gently opened the door and stepped in, feeling my throat start to constrict as I looked at the woman sitting in front of me, "y-you asked to see me, Headmistress Extallie?"

The woman looked up, her brown eyes meeting mine as she gestured for me to sit down, placing a piece of paper on the desk for me to look at, "Wendy, do you know what this is?"

I leaned forward in my chair to get a better look at it, taking my eyes off the white-haired woman in front of me for barely a second to glance at the paper before I looked back up, "it's my report, Aunt Carla."

The woman, my aunt, stared at me from over her glasses. "What have I said about calling me that in school?" She hissed. She had white hair that was pulled back into a tight bun and looked down at me with harshness in her eyes.

"Sorry," I said quickly, looking down at my hands as my face blushed slightly.

"Do you know what's wrong with this report?" Carla said, acting as if I was a tiny child that knew nothing.

I only shook my head, staring at my intertwined fingers and twitching my feet uncomfortably, not understanding why I was called. I was doing well in all my lessons. I wasn't the best in the class but I also wasn't struggling. The best part about being an outcast meant that I could get all my homework in on time.

"Look again." The harsh words made me snap my head up and stare at the paper.

My eyes widened as she saw my teacher's comments, most of them saying that I was a rude and ungrateful child who talked back in every lesson and that I never did any of my work properly. Paragraph after paragraph of hurtful phrases, blaming it all on my lack of parents and my inability to make friends, "b-but I-" I took a deep breath as I felt my eyes water, "I-I don't..."

Carla shook her head, "I don't think you realise just how many strings I had to pull to get you into this school after you were discharged from your last..." she glanced at a thick file on her desk, "...six schools. Just because you are my niece doesn't mean that you can flaunt around the hallways acting like you own the place. I know you're turning eighteen soon but you are still in my care until you graduate. So I cannot have you throwing this tomfoolery around in my school, do you understand?"

I nodded, holding back tears from my eyes as best as I could, although I felt like I was failing miserably.

"Good. As punishment for this," she gestured to the report, "you will be confined in your dorm for the rest of the week. Leave."