Chapter 20

Dumbledore waited around the corner with Hagrid, knowing the brat would be coming his way any moment now. Hearing footsteps, he began his very eavesdroppable conversation. "Hagrid, is it all still safe up there? You know how angry Flammel would be if we lost his precious work." He grinned to himself as he heard the footsteps stop around the corner, definitely listening.

"Why o' course prof'es'sor Dumbledore sir. Af'er all, 'ogwarts is the safes' place 'n all o' Bri'ain."

"Ah but I fear it may be in danger. We used to say that about Gringotts but it wasn't safe even there."

"Don' 'ou worry prof'es'sor Dumbledore. Ain't no'ody can get through our defense. I'll go check now though, jus' to be sure."

"Thank you Hagrid." The old man smiled to himself as he walked away, knowing that everything they said had been heard, and hopefully Hagrid would now lead the boy to where he had to be. He congratulated himself for his intelligence and a job well done.

"Well then, be'er go check this secre' work for Dumbledore, ay." He spoke as if to himself but very clearly to the one he knew was listening.

Harry sighed at the part-giant. He had hoped he would be able to remove him from Dumbledore's clutches as he rather liked him before but with this little display, he doubted he could. Still, he knew he had to let them believe they had won, so he pretended to follow the man. He would play along for now, but he wouldn't fall for him traps.

—————

To say Neville was nervous would be an understatement. He was physically shaking as he waited. As he felt a hand on his shoulder, he jumped around to face the source.

"Sorry Neville, I didn't mean to scare you. But I am surprised you came."

Neville knew he had to come. Not only was he interested in what Harry had to say, but he was scared shitless of him as well. He mumbled a response saying just that and could only assume Harry heard when he laughed.

"Are you ready to go?"

"Go where?" Had Neville known they were going somewhere, he probably wouldn't have come. Actually, that's a lie, he definitely still would have.

"Diagon Alley of course."

Neville froze in his walking. "What."

"Diagon Alley. Don't worry, the twins will keep us covered here and Blaise is coming with us."

"Blaise? Where is he?"

Again, Neville jumped at someone's arrival. This time, a hand on his shoulder as Blaise emerged from the shadows behind him. "I'm s-s-sorry I-I didn't s-see you there."

Blaise smiled at the shy boy. "That's the point." The 2 boys continued walking, Blaise shooting a kind look at Neville over his shoulder when he stayed frozen.

—————

Neville was shocked to see they even made it out of Hogwarts considering all the rules they broke, nevertheless apparating to Diagon Alley. No first year should be able to apparate, and yet Harry had with 2 side-alongs.

Harry led them through the busy streets, guiding them towards Ollivander's. Harry held the door open, telling Neville that he and Blaise would be outside when he was done and stuffed a money pouch into his hand. They watched him go in with reassuring smiles, while Neville wore his default nervous expression.