Chapter Eleven

Eriadu – The Chimera

The blue-skinned Chiss adorning the white uniform of a grand admiral gazed out the viewport of his flagship. When the rebels first began their attack, Thrawn had spoked his orders softly as ever but still with authority in his voice. Since then, he had been quiet. He had no need to talk. He had already won.

His red eyes flicked over to the star destroyer to the right of his ship, the Royal Intruder. It was taking a beating from Captain Syndulla and would soon fall. Thrawn couldn't help but feel impressed by the Twi'lek. Even in the most hopeless of battles, she had a way to bring the fight back to her enemies.

The grand admiral was waiting for a call, once he received that call, he would in turn call the Royal Intruder to flee and allow the rebels to escape. Most Imperial commanders would press this attack until the enemy fleet was ash, but Thrawn knew better. He knew his fleet would take more loses than he would gain by finishing the rebels here and now. Better to destroy their spirit and let them escape with their fleet in ruins than allow them the chance for a destructive last stand. Besides, the call would be to inform him his objectives had been completed.

As if on cue, the commlink chimed in the control panel in front of him. He pressed it elegantly with his fingertips to accept the call, "Ruhk, report."

The distinctive voice of the Noghri assassin filled the air, "The cargo is secure. I eliminated one of the rebel squads when I landed in the main hanger then engaged the Jedi Padawan and the Mandalorian girl."

"And?"

"The girl ran and escaped before the stormtroopers could stop her, but I captured the boy."

Thrawn didn't show any physical reaction to the news of his success, "Very good, Ruhk. I will arrive after the battle to meet with him, until then, hold him." He ended the call. Then, Thrawn strode down the bridge walkway back till he was at the holo-projector at the rear of the bridge. He nodded to Commodore Faro, it was a preordained order to contact the Royal Intruder.

The commodore of Royal Intruder, Commodore Derrok, answered the call. "Yes, Grand Admiral?"

"My mission is complete. Move the Royal Intruder away behind the Chimera, away from the battle, we will cover you."

"What?? But sir, then the rebels will escape!" This is what Thrawn was afraid of. He didn't need a battle-crazed commander going rogue, certainly not given the Royal's condition.

"I know, Commodore, but it is better to let them escape with their fleet in tatters than allow them the chance to destroy your destroyer." He had an edge to his voice now, "Pull back, now."

Derrosk thought for a moment before he spoke, but the pulsing of his neck veins and tightening of the face's skin told Thrawn all he needed to know without any words being spoken. "I'm sorry, Grand Admiral, but you play it too conservatively. Maybe back wherever you came from, that's a good thing, but here? Real Imperials finish the job." He cut the transmission.

"He's going to get himself and all his crew killed." Commodore Karyn Faro said, disgust in her voice.

Thrawn turned to look at the commander of his Chimera, "Yes, he is." He had no disgust in his voice, only regret and sorrow.

Eriadu – Space Battle

Captain Hera Syndulla had just finished her third bombing run. The star destroyer was tough but the rebels were wearing it down. It wouldn't be long until the thing was too damaged to operate at all. Green turbolaser fire screamed past her windows as the destroyer pressed its attack, forcing her into a barrel roll.