13;- oh, you pretty things

chapter thirteen- oh, you pretty things

word count - 3435

And it was with love that he felt safe. It was with the people that he knew he could trust that he felt like nothing could ever break him. It was with the sound of their laughter where he felt pure and indescribable bliss. It was with each mutter of 'love you's that might have felt like nothing but a heartfelt gesture to some, did he truly feel loved. It was with their embraces that he felt comforted, it was with their teasing that he felt irritated and it was with the grins of victory that his friends shared when they realized they wound up the great Sirius Black did he feel on top of the world, like nothing could ever hurt him. His life was devoted to happiness. To make others happy. Because whilst some might call it selfish, he felt truly and completely content when he knew his loved ones were. He made others feel happy to make himself feel happy, to distract him from the world that he lived crash right in front of his eyes into nothing but debris and dust.

It was his eighteenth birthday. He hoped that every single one of them could forget about it. He hoped that he wouldn't be cursed with smiles and 'happy birthdays', he hoped that he didn't have to relive the gruesome memories of home. Home, a safe house. A safe house where Sirius Black never felt safe. He only felt safe in the embrace of the ones he loved the most. A very limited few. To his despair, no one forgot of his eighteenth birthday and he didn't know the difference between sadness and affection as he was spoiled with love and gifts but deep in his soul and heart and body he felt gruesome. Heart-wrenching, like he was a pest on the people who loved him the most, this wasn't their job, it was the job of his non-existent family.

By instruction, Sirius Black stood outside Hogwarts, an even grander school from a distance, at 9 pm on the evening of his eighteenth birthday. It was pitch black for the days of winter always brought the sun down too early for Sirius' liking. He was alone, it was cold. A piercing wind struck his cheek as he burrowed into the safety of his jacket, waiting almost impatiently for his friends to arrive.

"Boo." And there it was. There was the voice that brought him all the safety that he needed. And she approached him out of the darkness, a smile prominent on her face, her cheeks red from the coldness and a red scarf wrapped around her neck." The others will be here soon." Laughter laced her voice." They forgot something." Silence. Yet not awkward, silence between the two to cherish." Happy birthday." Her voice went soft, almost sorrowing.

Sirius shook his head, laughing." You say 'Happy birthday' as if it's a thing you need to feel pity for."

Sylvia paused, smiling softly, "I say 'Happy birthday', like I've noticed that you have dreaded this day so intensely and that mind of yours, Jack. A mind that's very, very small." Sirius rolled his eyes, she grabbed his arm offering yet another comforting smile." Has been too busy for a birthday. Somethings wrong, and I only want the best for you. So I say 'happy birthday.' with the complete confidence that the night we have planned for you, will make this day the best one that you've celebrated and you'll yearn for your next birthday once the night is over."