Baby Shepherd is A...

Meredith and Derek were cuddling together on the couch. She was eighteen weeks pregnant and definitely had a baby bump. The thing was - it was still so tiny that it wasn't obvious that she was pregnant.

"If I have to wear fat clothes - I want it to be obvious that I'm pregnant," Meredith said with a heavy sigh.

Derek chuckled, kissed her temple and said, "I'm pretty sure they're called 'maternity clothes,' Mer."

"Maternity, fat," she replied with a giggle. "No big difference while the result is gaining weight."

"Mmmm," Derek replied.

"Mmmm?" Meredith asked with an edge in her voice and twisted out of his arms. "What the hell does 'mmmm' mean? Do you think I'm fat?"

"No." Derek answered immediately.

"So, what does mmmm mean," she persisted...

Derek sighed and then answered, "It means that I know nothing I say is going to make you feel better in the moment. So, mmmm is my acknowledgement that I hear you but I'm wise enough to keep my mouth shut otherwise."

"Oh," she said with a little crack in her voice. "I'm being an unreasonable pain in the ass." Then, she burst into tears but let Derek pull her back into his arms and hold her through the storm.

"I'm so sorry Derek," Meredith said when she was done crying. "Who knew I'd be such a ridiculous pregnant woman?"

"Mer," he said gently, kissing her again. "You're hormonal, not ridiculous. I understand - as much as I can - what you're going through. According to what the doctor told us last week - your hormones should be leveling out soon."

"Thank God."

"Mmmm," Derek chuckled.

"Safe answer there, Dr. Shepherd," Meredith laughed.

He rubbed his hands across her tiny baby bump again and said, "You're beautiful, Meredith. This is our baby you're growing in your amazing body. Thank you."

"I think I might cry again," Meredith sighed around the lump in her throat. "By the way, in case you need reminding, I didn't make this baby on my own."

"No," he chuckled, "You definitely didn't, but you are doing all the work right now."

"That's okay," she said, snuggling closer to his warmth. "It's an honor and a pleasure. Even if the getting fat part is irrationally and hormonally annoying."

Derek laughed again and then said, "I love you, Mer."

"I love you too, Derek. We have our ultrasound in two weeks."

"I know."

"Do you want to know the baby's gender or be surprised at the birth?"

"Do you have a preference?"

"Surprisingly, no," she answered.

"I'd really like to find out at the ultrasound." Derek stated.

Meredith turned in his arms and kissed him softly on the mouth. "Then we'll find out." she whispered.

"You're certain?"

"Absolutely."

"Wow!" Derek grinned, "In two weeks we'll know if we're having a daughter or a son."

"Providing Baby Shepherd cooperates," Meredith stated.

"The baby will cooperate." Derek said so adamantly that Meredith laughed.

"Is that right?"

"Yes."

"How do you know that?"