Chapter 44: Behind the Scenes

Matthew hurried over, then undid their cells with short, jittery movements. "They found us."

Forest mulled over his words when it dawned to him. "The mob, right?"

"What else would I be talking about?" 

The boy glanced at Jade, who was flustered and pale, then nodded. "Then let's go."

"Are you forgetting something, boy?" Matthew pressed, locking eyes. "I'm the one who gives orders."

Forest inwardly sighed. "Right. Sorry."

Frowning, the man shook his head. "Well, let's go."

Forest shivered as he passed the eerie cells, each likewise to their own: foul. Once they reached the end of the hallway, Matthew paused before the iron door, back to them. "What is it?" Forest muttered. 

The man looked them over, eyes narrowed. "You've finally got a chance to prove yourselves, so don't mess it up."

An uneasy silence fell over the captives. 

"Well?" 

Exchanging looks, they nodded stiffly. 

Matthew huffed, unconvinced, but turned back and undid the lock. "Just remember, we could easily overpower you," he said. "If ever you feel the need to do something stupid, I just have to say the word... and you're dead."

Forest swallowed hard. 

"Okay, come on." Gesturing them forward, Matthew hurried round the stairs before going down. "If they break down our barrier, it's over, so let's make sure that doesn't happen."

How many are there? Following after, the boy tripped half-way down the stairs and tumbled the rest of the way. Grimacing, he struggled to his feet, holding up a hand. "I'm fine."

"Are you?" Autumn asked, hurrying to his side. "Your lip is bleeding."

Forest shook his head. "Wouldn't I know if my lip was bleeding?"

She huffed, unimpressed. "I guess not."

After a brief stare-down, he felt his lip and found that she was right. "I'm fine."

"Come on," Matthew ordered from the front doors. "Don't be such a girl, you're fine."

-

The sun mocked him. Shielding his eyes, he made his way to a pile of tools lining the building. And blinked. "Matte-" When the man's face turned cold, he stopped himself. "Master, I mean, why aren't they using guns?" Then the boy looked around and scoffed. "I understand why we aren't, but no one is."

"Might attract walkers." With that, the man nodded to the pile. "Well, help yourselves. Just know that we'll be watching." 

The captives eyed him, uneasy. 

"Don't just stand there. Grab weapons!" 

They complied, each taking a tool of their own. While the others hustled in various directions, the fence burdened with walkers, Forest noticed two figures. Hurrying to the front doors, the men peeked for witnesses before disappearing inside. 

Despite himself, Forest followed after. 

Carefully, the boy opened the door, braced himself, then stepped through. Looking around, he released a breath; the coast was clear. 

That was when he heard shuffling upstairs. 

Wasting no more time, Forest hurried up the steps, determined not to give himself away. Near the top, he peeked and leaned forward. There were four doors, two on each side of the staircase. The men, still glancing for witnesses, scurried through one opposite of the door to their cells.