Chapter 2

TWO YEARS LATER

"Dante!"

I looked up, still counting the reps the man beneath me, Arnold was lifting.

"Yeah?" I called back, not moving my eyes from Arnold.

"Ten minutes till closing, you nearly finished?"

Blaine was anxious to leave, being a Friday night and all.

I eyed Arnold, whose face looked like it was going to burst.

"That's it, pal. Easy," I gripped the bar, marveling at how weak humans were. I could lift this thing with my little finger, and I wasn't the most powerful wolf in the world.

"How is it so easy for you?" Gasped Arnold, sweat dripping into his bloodshot eyes. "I bust a guy five days outta seven in here, and you're barely breaking a sweat."

"Metabolism, good genes. Same time Monday?"

Arnold threw a towel around his neck, his purple cheeks fading as he puffed. "If I don't die of a heart attack."

I cleaned down the equipment, tossing the wipes into the waste bin.

Blaine was tapping away at his phone, his eyebrows furrowed.

"You off out tonight?"

"Yeah, gotta pick my stepsister up from some ballet class first," he grumbled, lifting his eyes to mine. "You?"

"Nah. You go, I'll lock up," I offered.

"Nice one, bro. See you Monday," Blaine grinned, his eyes locked back on his phone.

I flicked the lights off, checking all the windows were secure, before wiping down all the equipment.

After Arnold left, I hit the lights, cracking my neck from one side to the other when the fresh air hit me.

I checked around me, heading to my bike, which shone in the moonlight like it was glowing just for me.

"Hey, baby." I stroked it, hooking my leg over. "We need to go for a ride."

The engine purred beneath me as the wind whipped against my hair, and I realized I'd left my helmet at the gym.

It's not as if I need it. Ha.

It would take a lot more than a bike crash to wipe me out.

I rode away from the Seven Woods, traveling much further along the coast. I needed a run; my limbs were aching for it. I didn't want to run into anyone from my old pack. I needed to put some mileage between us and head in the opposite direction.

Miles was the next town along, and I knew there were no wolves there. Miles was classed as no man's land, too small and insignificant for anyone to care enough to dwell there.

I parked my bike beside a gate that led to the woods, dropping my backpack beside a tree. I glanced around, allowing the change to happen.

My bones snapped as my skin stretched, the burning hot pain running through me as my wolf came forward, yawning.

Time to run.

Once in wolf form, I felt alive.

My wolf was sad and had been ever since we left Sasha, despite knowing we had no choice. I ran along the jagged coastline, glimpsing the ocean as the moon danced over it.

Hey, girl. We heard you've been asking some questions about the old library. What business is it of yours?

My ears pricked up, and I stilled, not an easy feat when you're doing sixty miles an hour.