Chapter 8

The sun rose at 5:48 am, and it was the color of mandarins. The grass, treetops, and rooftops basked in the orange light.

The trees shielded them quite a bit from the sun, but Peppa and Suzy still woke up at about the same time the sun did.

Okay, actually, Peppa woke up first. And she woke up, expecting to be in her bed, and expecting everything to have been one weird dream.

That's it, she thought. Just a dream. I don't have filming today, and I think I might make some French Toast and maybe even give some to Ge-

Then she realized she wasn't lying on a mattress - she was lying on a bed of grass. There were twigs on her face, and her hair was streaked with dirt. 

She had hair.

Long, dark brown, straight hair. 

She put a handful of hair in her palm and examined it. 

And her hand - her skin, was a sandy color. Not pink.

She wasn't at home, she wasn't a pig anymore, and she had hair.

She also wasn't going to be having French Toast anytime soon. 

Suzy was snoring happily next to her. She had just about the same skin tone as Peppa now, except slightly darker, leaning towards a beige color. Her face somewhat resembled Marilyn Monroe's, and she had a head of wavy blonde, almost white hair that went past her shoulders a little.

Her hair was also dirty. There were flecks of dirt and mud in her hair, and Suzy's light-colored hair emphasized the grime. Suzy's clothes were dirty - although hers were too.

She definitely needed the sleep. They were both exhausted from last night.

To the left of Peppa, the car was still damaged and scratched, most likely undriveable. 

Suzy really could use some sleep.

But Peppa sure as hell wasn't going through this without her best friend, and plus, Suzy loved sunsets and sunrises.

So she took a twig and poked Suzy's cheek with it.

She woke up. Her eyes were hickory brown and slightly bloodshot, which looked interesting on her medium complexion and light hair.

Peppa expected Suzy to grumble or groan at her and go right back to sleep, but instead, Suzy sat up, studied Peppa, and smiled at her.

"We're human," Suzy said groggily, through a huge grin. "God, I've wanted this for so long."

"Yeah. What color are my eyes?" Peppa asked. 

Suzy raked her hand through her hair. "Hazel. But with a surprising amount of gold. Your eyes look mostly gold, with a tiny border of green. They look expensive," she added, chuckling. "What color are my eyes?"

"Brown. Dark brown. Like... molasses," Peppa said. "But one shade lighter."

"That's pretty dark," Suzy said, still smiling. "I didn't expect to have white-ish hair."

"You don't look bad," Peppa chided. "You look kind of like Marilyn Monroe."

"Thanks," she simpered.

Suzy looked up, and saw the sun. "Is there a sunrise?"

Peppa looked up at the sky - the treetops were almost multicolored, and the horizon, from what she could see, was stained orchid and melon orange.

"I think so," she said. "Do you wanna go see it?"

Back home, Peppa and Suzy would occasionally watch the sunrise or sunset from their picnic spot. They watched the sun go up or down on their bad days - days that felt like weeks, days where filming hurt, days where their parents were barely able to stand, they would sit under a wild fig tree and eat green grapes.