o0o - sɪɢɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛɪᴍᴇs - chapter two

- author's note : thank you everyone for all the reads! i really appreciate it. as promised, here's the early chapter.

-o0o0o0o-

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐃𝐆𝐄𝐑𝐓𝐎𝐍 𝐒𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐒 (and Cal) had gathered in Daphne's room, still upbeat from the success. Most young ladies received two dresses each at the beginning of the season, which they would alternate wearing at balls. They would only switch up how they would wear it, with different accessories which made it seem like they were wearing different dresses. However, the Bridgertons were well connected and wealthy, and often had more. While Daphne was the only one of the four girls allowed to go to balls this season, they all often met up to "debrief" before or after large events. And the presentation had been nothing but grand.

Cal was splayed on the bed, writing in his journal. He, like Eloise, had an affinity for writing, a hobby to bond over. He was the quietest of the nine siblings, and preferred to observe conversations than to actively participate in it. Oddly enough, when he did socialize, he did it well, and easily wooed whomever he was speaking with. It was a gift that he was very thankful for.

As usual, Eloise drew him from his thoughts. "Oh, I shall need to go and visit with Penelope. Her presentation was anything but... what was it the queen called you again?"

"Flawless," replied Daphne. She blushed before quickly backtracking. "Or some such thing. Trust I was astonished Her Majesty offered me, out of 200 young ladies present, a most gracious remark."

"Yes, it was quite a distinction. One that you wholeheartedly deserve, dear." said Cal, chuckling when Daphne reddened. Unfortunately for him, Daphne was blessed with the ability to make anything and everything seem graceful, even blushing like a tomato from the kitchens.

Without missing a beat, Eloise added, "And now 200 young ladies have a common adversary." 

Cal threw a pillow at El. As soon as Hyacinth and Francesca stopped giggling, he said, "I wish you luck, Daph. However, if by some miracle you do not find a suitable man to wed, you always have next season. I doubt that will happen though. I do believe that not one man will not wish for your hand."

Daphne smiled, ever so grateful for her brother. "Have I ever told you that you are my favorite sibling?" 

"As much as I love to know that, you should have waited until we were alone."

Daphne's eyes widened at his words, and dramatically whispered, "Do you think they heard me?"

"Probably not, but we shall flee just to be sure," he whispered back. He mimed dashing away dramatically before falling back to the bed in a swoon.

Lighthearted laughter began filling the room, and Cal felt his heart swell in affection. Growing up, Cal had always been overlooked by his parents, and later Anthony, due to his quiet nature. By the time their father passed, he had been old enough to understand, though it only worsened with his mother in a slump and his father gone. Anthony rushed to mature and fill the large shoes of the former Lord Bridgerton. With Benedict off enacting his mischievous schemes, and Collin with his friends (he had always been the more popular twin), Cal was left trying to fill the heels of his grieving, absent mother. He had helped raise his siblings for years, and nothing brought him more happiness than their own. 

Speaking of absent mothers, their mother soon burst in and announced that the gowns had arrived. The dresses were all gorgeous, perfect for his gorgeous sisters, in Cal's opinion. Then again, he was just a little bit biased. Cal had already sorted out his suits for the evening: his favorite tailored dark blue ensemble with light blue accents—luckily also the family color. As a Bridgerton, his example of wearing lighter colors had become popular among the younger men during the warmer seasons.

"Do not tell me that is yet another scandal sheet. Eloise..." said his mother. 

"No, no, this one is different," El replied as her eyes flitted over the parchment, making it clear she wasn't truly paying attention.

"Yes mother, it is different. This one lists subjects by name, in full. So amazingly different and unique." Cal drawled sarcastically. 

Daphne ignored her brother and also started reading the article. "She loathes the fact that we've been named alphabetically, oldest to youngest."

"Oh, she has named Daphne as the season's Incomparable. She calls you a 'diamond of the first water.'" Violet Bridgerton said. "And Callan, dear, you were an exception." 

Callan gave her a tight smile, raising his eyebrow amusedly before leaving the room to get ready. He was going to wear a nice, baby blue shirt with a dark blue overcoat that was shorter than usual, paired with black trousers, and he was most definitely not resentful of his mother. Logically, Cal knew that she had, in that moment, lost the other half of her soul, the only love of her life. However, he also knew that her grief had left the family adrift when they had needed her the most.

His closeness with his sisters and interest in fashion drove many to raise a few eyebrows, but he was luckily in a high enough place in society where he could get away with unconventional choices. He received criticism on his fashion choices quietly, some saying his clothing choices showed femininity. To him, though, as long as it remained quietly, behind his back, and not negatively affecting his siblings, he couldn't find it in himself to lose this too. In the beginning, it caused quite a stir, but most people had gotten used to his odd ideas. 

Cal had never wished to be a revolutionary, really. It wasn't his fault that some colors and textures looked better on him than others. Besides, Madame Delacroix, the seamstress, adored him for it, and she knew the best gossip. For his sisters, he had given up so much. He was unwilling to give up anything else he loved, and if that meant scrutiny, then so be it. 

Callan Edmund Bridgerton would never change to fit in with and fulfill the expectations of society. He had decided long ago that along with "treat people with kindness", "fuck society" was his motto.

- author's note : hello readers. so, i actually wrote more than 800 words! yay me. tehe. if you have any constructive criticisms or anything of the such please do share in a kind way. ok danke bye. xx c 

[ hey! future charlotte here lol. i'm not completely sure if i was sane or not here 😭]