chapter one.

"healing is about accepting, not forgetting." 

- kamilla tolno.

𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗖𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗥 𝗚𝗟𝗔𝗦𝗦 𝗢𝗙 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗕𝗔𝗧𝗛𝗥𝗢𝗢𝗠 𝗠𝗜𝗥𝗥𝗢𝗥, 𝗖𝗢𝗔𝗧𝗘𝗗 𝗪𝗜𝗧𝗛 𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗗𝗘𝗡𝗦𝗔𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡, 𝗪𝗔𝗥𝗣𝗘𝗗 𝗠𝗔𝗗𝗗𝗢𝗫 𝗥𝗘𝗜𝗗'𝗦 𝗙𝗔𝗖𝗘 𝗜𝗡𝗧𝗢 𝗔 𝗚𝗛𝗢𝗦𝗧𝗟𝗬 𝗙𝗜𝗚𝗠𝗘𝗡𝗧 𝗔𝗦 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗕𝗥𝗨𝗡𝗘𝗧 𝗣𝗨𝗦𝗛𝗘𝗗 𝗛𝗜𝗦 𝗙𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗘𝗥𝗦 𝗧𝗛𝗥𝗢𝗨𝗚𝗛 𝗛𝗜𝗦 𝗗𝗔𝗠𝗣𝗘𝗡𝗘𝗗 𝗛𝗔𝗜𝗥. The smell of coconuts still clung to the locks of brown, causing the male's nose to wrinkle up in retaliation. Humidity from the lasting bits of the hot water that had just been streaming from the shower head, making small droplets that danced with one another down the bathroom mirror and eventually clearing up so that Maddox could see his reflection inside of it.

The agent hummed a soft tune to himself as he pulled open the door to the bathroom, a towel whisking down below his waist as he made his way through his one bedroom apartment towards where his clothes lay against the comforter of his twin sized mattress.

He had planned to take his one year old German Shepard, Rocky, out for a morning walk around their neighborhood. But, it seemed like the universe didn't want to align with that choice of plans, for just as he was slipping his black t-shirt over his shoulders the sound of buzzing met his ears. Halfway stumbling with one arm in and one arm out of the piece of clothing, he reached over to grab his cell that was sitting on his dresser, fumbling for a few seconds before flipping it open and keeping it pressed between his clothed shoulder and cheek.

"Griffin, what's up?"

"Cancel your plans, we've just got ourselves a new case," the voice of Griffin Howell cut across the speaker. "I'm picking you up in fifteen minutes, don't make me wait."

Maddox suppressed a laugh as he slipped the remaining bit of his shirt over his right arm. "Does this mean we're getting coffee too?"

"When do we not, James?"

There was another sarcastic chuckle from Maddox, an exchange of goodbyes, before the call was over with and Maddox was left to turn to the dog that now sat behind him on her haunches. With a soft exhale, he leaned down to scratch behind her ears.