prolouge.

" to leave, after all, was not the same as being left. " 

-anita shreve. 

THE SUN WAS JUST BEGINNING TO RISE FROM OVER THE GRAY, MONOTONE CLOUDS. Mixtures of yellows, reds and pinks lit up the sky, it's warmth cascading down upon the people who lived under it. 

Seventeen year old Maddox Reid was riding the high as he drove down the empty streets to his home, watching as the houses he passed slowly were flickering to life. His lips were painted into a broad smile, eyes aglow as he reflected on the happenings of his night. 

He had told his mother and father that he would be spending the night with a friend, but in reality, he was planning to stay with his boyfriend. Though Maddox hated to lie, especially to his parents, the idea of coming out as bisexual to them wasn't exactly something he saw as ideal. 

The blue eyed male pulled in to the small, paved driveway of his house where he shut the engine off silently. A heavy sigh passed by his lips as he leaned back in the seat, shutting his eyes and rubbing a hand over his face. It was still early in the morning, nearly eight thirty as Maddox had remembered. But, his boyfriend's parents had woken up earlier than either of them had planned so Maddox had to scramble to get dressed and then lower himself out of his lover's bedroom window so he could leave in his car that was parked down the street, out of sight. It was quite the, eventful, morning, so he was looking forward to possibly catching a few hours of sleep before he would have to start taking care of Spencer and their mom. 

Because it wasn't like their dad was going too. 

With a subtle shake of his head, Maddox sat himself upright and opened the driver's side door, planting his feet on the concrete ground. The sudden brightness of the morning sun caused him to squint, keeping his head lowered as he walked up to the front door of his home. Where, suddenly, the blinding sun became a distant memory and the least of his concern as he heard an argument happening just beyond the wooden object. 

Without thinking, Maddox pushed open the front door, mentally bracing himself for what he'd see on the other side. The scene that laid out in front of him was almost unfathomable, it was like someone had set it up like they were playing doll house and his family were the dolls. His father, William Reid, stood with a suitcase set in front of him, staring at where Maddox now stood. The argument had seemed depleted, disappearing as if it had never happened.