Chapter 1- Canon divergence:

I am planning on this being several stories, however, please review as this can influence my decision as to where this story should go... I have not completely decided yet. Plus, this may have erratic updates due to the virus, so I hope you guys can forgive me if this takes a long time.

Sorry for any mistakes. I was hoping to get this out before I go to bed. So, if you see any, please let me know. Thank you. :)

(Plus, this is written by the owner-of-this-accounts sister for her. I wanted to give her something to read while she recovers from being in the hospital. So, here you go, sis.)

_________________________________________________________

The old man breathed heavily as he leaned precariously against the main control counsel. His grey eyes were dulled with defeat as he started at the past out form of his desert- oldest- friend sprawled haphazardly over the ship's metallic floor. Her form was limp, lifeless, and still. Unconscious and dead to the world.

Fear grips his hearts as the ship shakes and lurches to the side, causing harsh red light to flash around him. His hands shot out to grip the console for stability, and the next thing he knows is that his hand unconsciously went out to find a lever as he hurls his ship into the time vortex.

It shakes, tilting dangerously from side to side, seemingly uncaring of the occupants within. In the back of his mind, he knows that's not true, even when a particularly violent tremor sends him painfully into the side outer control panel. His injured body jolted in protest, and he reached out to steady himself, a moan of pain leaving his cracked lips.

He looks up, eyes sad and very, very old. They trace the main pillar, watching as it wheezes and whirls, and can feel a presence press firmly, but gently against his mind. Feelings of resigned resignation filtered through his mind, providing a peaceful sanctuary. It does little to smother the forever-growing grief. To prepare him for the intense pain of the supernova that he knew would inevitably come.

His hands curl into fists over the counsel's interface, scrapping a few buttons in his movement. He can see the beginnings of regeneration energy flickering to life, dancing under his skin, causing it to glow translucently. He grips a sticking-out lever, hands curling around it as he shuts his eyes. The simple contact was grounding, solidating to the real world during his final moments in this body.

He doesn't want to live a lie again; to adapt to another life only for it and everything he had to be eventually ripped away from him. But, he knew he couldn't give up. His ship- his constant companion- needed him. His best friend and worst- greatest- enemy (and hopefully to be something more) needed him.

She had shown him hope back on the colony ship after he had torn his heart out and grounded it into the dirt. She had betrayed her former self, came crawling back with her umbrella, and blasted the cyberman away enough so they could escape. Her actions brought him hope and yet sealed their doom.

It still hasn't prevented him from getting shot. Didn't stop her from getting a laser to the back. But the fight in her eyes- those hopeful and desperate eyes- slowly died and it turned to anger. Seething hatred for his very existence, because she knew then that their time was over. 

The doctor had gotten himself killed and it wasn't by her hands. She could have throttled him if they weren't both on borrowed time.

Instead, she kissed him. Furiously. Without hesitation, or emotion. Their last moments of consciousness together as she slipped from his arms, falling unconscious.

It was then he knew that she saw the bomb standing behind him.

It had seconds left to spare and be damned if she was going to be conscious of it.