a prince

the bright sun glares down onto the cobblestone floor, causing it to subtly glint in the light. the atmosphere would have been peaceful if it weren't for the townspeople who seemed to have a knack for disturbing the silence. dream slumps his shoulders, kicking a loose pebble along the path as he drowns out the hustle of the town.

a typical thursday; busy streets as the market stalls become occupied, having just restocked hours before, and large groups of impatient people looking to get the first picks at the food while it's fresh. occasionally, he would be one of those people; attempting to grab the tastiest looking apples while he still had a choice to pick from. however, most of the time, he avoided the commotion. apples, his favourite fruit, are usually gone by midday anyway- he'd just have to bother somebody until they gave him theirs.

as he begins to get lost among his own thoughts, dream's attention is drawn to the guy beside him calling his name. he raises an eyebrow in question, turning to face the guard who only repeats his previous question- something to do with his opinion on a food of some kind. dream shrugs in response, deciding to head down the quickest route out of the conversation. as he turns his head to refocus his eyes on the ground, an object connects with the side of his torso before falling to the floor. confused, dream looks down to find a boy- who's scowling back up at him in irritation.

"watch where you're going." the blonde states carelessly, his eyes not leaving the other as he climbs to his feet. he can't help but watch the boy as he collects his bags which had been sprawled out onto the floor after colliding with dream and dropping them. brown eyes stare back at him, his eyebrows drawn into a frown.

the boy sighs, dusting himself off, "what use would that be..." he pauses, stepping closer to the other. "if you don't also watch where you're going."

dream's curiosity about the boy peaks at his accent, but he narrows his eyes in retaliation, "you walked into me."

"i did not! you came out of nowhere and stepped into me." the brunette spits in accusation, throwing his arms up in frustration. he's considerably smaller than dream in height, the blonde towering over him with ease; causing a sense of intimidation, though he doesn't show it.

"my mistake." dream says in false sincerity, tilting his head as he glares at the boy in front of him. "i didn't realise you were blind."

the other boy scoffs, shaking his head in disbelief, but doesn't say another word toward dream, but this only further amuses him. "oh, did you have something to say, pretty boy?" he questions mockingly, sarcasm lacing his tone as he coos at the other.

"not really." he stutters in response to his nickname, even if it were just to tease him. "talking to idiots like you seems to ruin my day."

the blonde chuckles in amusement, something about this boy intrigues him with every sentence he speaks. he puts his hands up defensively, but drops them back to his sides as he speaks again, oozing with confidence. "i could do a lot more than bump into you to ruin your day."

"so you admit it."

dream cocks his brow, his smug expression fading. "hm?"

"you bumped into me." the other says, the hint of a proud smile on his lips. "you just said it."

shaking his head, the blonde rolls his eyes in attempts to hide the playful smirk he's sporting. this boy is definitely something. he's bold, much bolder than anyone he's spoken to in a long time; and he finds it most entertaining. the guards shove one another, fighting the urge to laugh at the two.

"you must have a lot of nerve talking to me like that." dream notes, the anger he held from before vanishing into thin air.

the boy scoffs, "ha. who do you think you are? the king?"