Chapter 20

Joie, for one, was glad to finally be home. No more suitcases. No more hotel food. No more forced isolation. She and George were free, for the time being anyway. She had finished her first column and mailed it to the press officer at NEMS. She included 4 pictures. Now she would have to wait.

George read it and was impressed and proud of her. They celebrated by going out for dinner at their favorite spot in town. The residents were used to seeing them and didn't bother at all. Joie was just grateful to be out. The hotels were beginning to make her feel claustrophobic – like there was no life outside the 4 walls she was stuck in. Now she was back in their sweet home, the kittens crawling around their legs looking for attention.

When George was alone, he ironed out the telegram he had crinkled up and put in his pocket. The 30th was only 2 weeks away. He needed to put his plan into action and started a flurry of phone calls. An important one was to his parents.

"Hi, Da," he greeted.

"Hi, son. Home now?

"Yes. It was a rough 6 weeks."

"You doing okay? How's Joie?"

"We're both good. How're you and mum?"

"We're old," he answered good naturedly. "So what's up?"

"Da, I need yours and Mum's help."

"Anything, son."

"The British Empire wants to send Joie back to the states. Her visa is up on the 30th, but I've got a plan..."

"Count us in," Harold Harrison agreed.

"Pack a bag, baby. We're hitting the road," George called to Joie as she was drinking her morning coffee.

"Where are we going?" she asked, handing him a mug of hot tea. "Please tell me hotels aren't involved."

"No hotels. We're going to my parents' house."

"Okay, then," Joie agreed. "That'll be great."

They were on their way in an hour, a world record for Joie. She could tell that something was on George's mind, he was very quiet in the car and his forehead was knotted in thought.

"What's bothering you, George?" Joie asked, laying her hand on his thigh.

"Why would you think there's something bothering me?"

"You're awfully quiet. And you could run motorcross through the furrows on your forehead."

He laughed and rubbed his head. "Really? That bad, huh? I'm actually not thinking about anything. I'm just enjoying the drive."

"You're also keeping to the speed limit. That's a sure sign something is up."

He laughed again. "Really, baby. I'm fine." He squeezed her hand to reassure her.

"Are you thinking about the next tour?"

"Not really. I don't want to think about it until I'm on the plane and the nightmare is right in my face."

"Yeah, well, the only good thing about touring is that it comes to an end, eventually," Joie grimaced. "Who's going to take care of you now that I won't be there?"

"Mal," George laughed. "Trust me, it's just not the same. He'd never tell us to go fuck ourselves but his bedside manner is sorely lacking."

"Yeah," Joie lowered her head. "I shouldn't have said that. But I was so mad. So mad, George."

"I recall," he answered light heartedly.

"And I swear if you hadn't dragged me out of there, I would have taken a swing at him."