Chapter 23

It took a week to arrange everything, then George and Joie married at the Escom Registers office, Surrey, in an official ceremony that included Paul, Brian, Joie's dad and sister and George's parents. Brian seemed to jump all in and became a wedding planner, insisting on a small entourage and a photo op for the press afterwards. This included 2 quick kisses on the cheek and 2 chaste pecks on the lips. The press was completely taken aback, not having discovered beforehand the American girl who snagged George's heart.

"Hey, Jo-ey." She heard the photographers shout. "Smile for the camera."

She was smiling. She had never felt more complete in her whole life.

"Where's the honeymoon?" she heard them ask her.

"Hey, George, how do you think the fans will react?"

George wasn't worried about the fans. He was worried about how Joie would deal with the intrusions she now would face. But one thing he was sure of is that Joie wasn't timid. Of course she had her breaking point, but George was sure she could handle just about anything.

They stood at the courthouse steps and Joie held on to his hand tightly. Although she looked beautiful in a crisp, white linen suit, George wondered if his bride would have preferred a long wedding gown. She appeared calm, but was squeezing the blood out of his hand. The reporters shouted questions and the photographers clicked off pictures.

"The best thing about getting married is being able to be with your best friend," George told them as he led Joie Christine Armagh Harrison to the waiting car.

They immediately drove to Esher, the house already filled with friends and family and the wonderful smells coming out of the kitchen. Their sweet two tiered wedding cake was on display on the counter and George whipped an index finger through the icing for a "taste test". Joie shook her head. Welcome to her world.

Food was consumed, beverages flowed, music cascaded through the house as everyone celebrated their marriage. George never left her side for long and introduced her to the large number of people she didn't know, but who were an integral part of the Beatle Family. At one point, Brian approached her and asked if he could have a word with her....alone. It made her uncomfortable, but she agreed.

"I'm sure you have ample reasons not to trust me," Brian said. "But I would like to talk to you for a moment."

"Brian, this is my wedding day...and I'd really like to have George with me," she said to him. "Let me get him and we can talk."

"I'd really just like to have a word with you," Brian said again. "It will only take a moment."

Joie nodded and they stepped outside into the back yard, where George had spent hours planting flowers and trees.

"I'd like to give you a wedding present," he said looking in his breast pocket. "And I'd like to extend my apologies for us getting off on the wrong foot....as you American's say."

Joie smiled at him. "It's all fine, Brian. It's all fine."

"I'm glad because I'm very sincere about this," he answered, handing her an envelope. "Wait until you have a quiet moment to open this, but do it before this evening. I want you and George to have some time to yourselves."

"We will," she answered. "And thank you very much for helping to making this day so wonderful."

Paul saw Joie talking to Brian and immediately went on high alert. He well knew Brian had a tendency to be short and gruff with Joie and he would be damned if he'd allow Brian to treat her like that on her wedding day. Paul spun around to see if George was in view and when he couldn't find him, he swept in for the rescue.