2: The Safe House

"...My name is Elise." I said firmly gripping his hand in response. How should I go about getting information from him... I thought as my hand was released and allowed to fall to my side. Studying Rodney as his eyes trained down the street away from my predator's house, he lifted an arm and pointed in that direction. "There is a house I found down that way that could be safe for a couple days..." He said setting off without a second thought. I guess he just assumed I would follow him, but he did assume correctly since I definitely wasn't going to stay near that death trap of a house any longer. Rodney walked at a fast pace so I took quick steps to keep up with him. 

This, almost relaxing, walk in the street gave me time to think about the events before I found myself in the street in a neighborhood I didn't know. How come I was so calm. It seemed surreal that even after my parents just died of strange causes I can still walk and talk normally. I had always thought that when the time came for them to pass I would just crumple on the ground and cry for at least four days straight. I had always been a daddy's girl and the thought of losing either of my parents just made my heart shrivel. 

Abruptly Rodney stopped walking causing me to walk straight into his back. Stumbling backwards I grabbed my throbbing nose glaring at Rodney's back. Was everyone out to hurt me today? Oh wait, battle...duh. Rodney turned and passed me muttering something about going back to get something he forgot and to wait here for him. Nodding slightly he turned on his heels and went back in the direction we had come.

Blowing out my cheeks and looked from side to side and let the air out, trilling my lips in the process. It was something I did when I was bored. Passed the time. 

Spotting a car close to my left I walked over and looked inside. It was rather clean inside with nice leather seats. I would die for a car like this. Or any car at all really. Or you know...just a license. I was already 17 and still couldn't drive, but I still liked to imagine I could. Didn't end well for the ATV I was driving. I flipped it into a creek and thankfully got out with a few really bad bruises and no broken bones. 

Laughing at my own stupidity for a moment I caught my reflection in the side mirror of the car and saw the person's eye brows knit together in confusion. That was me? Where'd all the blood from that night go. My skin was perfectly clean and I was in different clothes to boot. I was dressed in a loose boat neck shirt that was a pale lilac color and waist high black jean shorts. They fit a little too snug for my taste. I actually preferred sweatpants and large shirts, but I guess it's better than a blood stained nightgown. 

Wait, if I wasn't in these clothes when I passed out...how did I get them on. Does that mean that the person who killed my parents changed me? As that thought crossed my mind I was fuming. 

Refocusing my eyes on my reflection something was off. My reflection was grinning at me. Blood trickling down from it's white smile. My nerves were audibly snapping in my ears. Without thinking I punched the side mirror clean off. 

Breathing heavily as the blood trickled from my hand I was yanked roughly down and pushed under the car I had just tortured.

Rodney lay beside me with his finger pressed against his lips and his other hand pointing at three pairs of feet that approached the car from behind one of the houses. They stood exactly where I had just had a melt down moments before. 

"Are you sure you saw him run this way?" Exclaimed one voice to which another retorted "Yeah I'm sure and he was with a girl". The two voices argued while the third walked around the car coming dangerous close to the edge. "Alright keep your eyes peeled...the sooner we kill them, the sooner we can have limitless power." Said the first voice once more as they turned back towards the col-de-sac.

Soon the footsteps were far enough away that I could slide myself out from under the car. After doing so, I didn't even get a chance to ponder why those guys wanted to kill us for limitless power because Rodney had grabbed my wrist and begun to run in the opposite direction that the guys had gone.

Within 5 minutes, which is longer than I had cared to run for the past 5 years of my life, Rodney released my wrist followed by a quick smile in my direction. He walked up to a modern styled house that was a assorted stone design with a glass door. Walking up to the entrance he held open the door for me and nodded as if to say 'Step in before I drag you'. Quickly obliging I stepped through the door frame I was greeted by an equally modern furnished house. 

The hallway extended back towards the kitchen and to the right was a living room complete with a couch made of white leather, two arm chairs made of the same material, and my favorite; a 16 inch flat screen hanging on the wall. Sadly there were no consoles in sight, which is weird considering the day and age being that of technology. 

 A remote was laying on the coffee table in front of the couch so I helped myself to a seat and was about to turn on the TV when Rodney smacked the remote out of my hand. I turned my face to him giving him a nasty look for attacking the poor remote, but I was greeted by an equally nasty look as he exclaimed "you'll draw them in with noise! No tv!" To which I responded "you mean...more people that want to kill you?". I was ready to begin my interrogation. Especially if I couldn't watch tv, this would be my only pass time. 

"Everyone wants to kill one another..." he said looking at me like I was an idiot. "What would they even get out of it?" I asked a bit dumbstruck. Is it like a new reality show? Is there a hidden camera? Are they doing a real life hunger games? Gosh, when I suggested taking that books idea to reduce the population of the world I was totally joking and definitely did not want people by the name of Elise to be a part of it!

 "You really don't know anything do you..." he said shaking his head. I gave a little nod then a naive look and he sighed. "I'll explain..." he muttered sitting next to me on the couch. Oh goodie, lecture time! "There are subordinates and pure bloods...we...all the people here are subordinates. In order to become the next pure blood one person must kill all the other subordinates here.". Looking at him I knew he wasn't kidding, but what the hell was he talking about. Pure blood? Was that like, a blood type thing? I didn't pay much attention in biology so I'm already completely lost.

 "What are suburbanites and poor broods...?" I asked since by the time he got to that part before I had gotten distracted. He really needed to be more entertaining with his lectures. Rolling his eyes he looked at me and responded "It's subordinates and purebloods. The subordinates are the pre-pure blood candidates. We awaken around the ages 16-18, some earlier than others and like purebloods we drink blood to survive, but we don't have all the extra powers like the pure bloods, all we need blood for is like food for humans; to stay healthy and alive." 

My mouth tightened and my eyebrows furrowed. Drink blood? That's just nasty. Looking up at Rodney from the twiddling thumbs I said "But, I haven't drank any. So, how can I be a subordinate?" at which he refuted "You must've just awakened recently. It's not likely you will kill or feed on the first few days, actually no one ever has. It's a hunger you develop a couple days after the battle starts".

I was in a daze. Although I did want information, this just wasn't what I was expecting. Not that I was really sure what to expect, but definitely not this. Holding my head I felt a migraine coming on. "You should sleep, the first few days of awakening can be taxing on the body." Rodney said softly raising himself from the couch. Standing next to the window he whispered "Don't worry, i'll keep watch". 

On that note I laid down and closed my eyes. It was always a struggle to fall asleep especially now since my brain was swimming with new information that I didn't quite understand, but sleep came as a sweet relief. At least, I thought it would come as a sweet relief when what felt like only minutes later I was awakened by an ear piercing scream.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys, chapter 2! The chapters are kind of short...I know, but they will get longer later I swear!      As per usual, this is a draft so it will be edited later. When? I'm not sure...but sometime.