3: Am I Really Safe?

My eyes flew open as the scream echoed throughout the empty house. What the hell? Who was screaming at the wee hours of the morning?! Pushing myself up from the couch, I walked slowly to the window. Laying my hand softly on the cotton curtains I pulled them back ever so slightly. Light hit my eyes causing me to retract from the window a bit to adjust. It was that feeling of when you're in a dark room all day and walk outside then just kind of hate yourself for it cause now you have a headache.

Bringing my face back to the window pane I saw the house across the street aflame. Were pyromaniacs still a thing? You'd think people would be able to find better hobbies nowadays. Another ear piercing scream cut through the air which caused my eyes to whip back to the blazing house.

Two boys emerged from the flames dragging the girl who had interrupted my sleep. Normally I would have given them a piece of my mind, but they didn't look like the kind of people I would want to fight. One of them actually reminded me of the guy whom I had met before that had a jaw fetish. 

The screaming stopped as the girl was thrown forcefully on the ground. My body jerked in response wanting so badly to go help, but in a 2 v 1 situation I wouldn't be on the winning team. Grabbing a handful of the girl's hair the jaw fetish look alike man pulled her head back sharply. Realization dawned on me, they were going to kill this girl. They were going to kill her and there was nothing I could do about it. 

My heart began to race as the other boy who had helped in dragging the victim approached her again and let him lips turn up in a terrifying grimace. She was crying and begging for, what I could only assume, her life. But the boy just laughed and responded by tightening his grip on her. 

Her body seemed to just give up as if it knew it's fate and as if on queue the boy came close to her face then lifted a bit further up to reveal the nape of her neck. His teeth sunk into her skin as easy as a knife sliding through butter. So, they aren't giving hickeys. They are biting. Dots slowly connected in my mind, my eyes widening as my lips trembled and opened just enough for one word to slip through "Vampires". 

The girl screamed constantly as his mouth clung to her. He must of been annoyed by the sound because the next moment, in a swift motion, he snapped her neck and ripped her head off. Blood gushed out of where her head should have been just like a fountain. I could feel myself gagging and bile rising in my throat. 

Several people ran out from houses beside the burning one pushing each other out of the way trying to get a drink of the girl's blood. It was all out war, tearing each other away just for a drop. They looked like rabid animals, their eyes showing no sign of humanity. 

The boy who had ripped her head off lifted it above his head and with one more smile which showed his red stained canines, he brought it down on the concrete smashing it. Her brain matter painting the tops of his shoes and the cuffs of his jeans as well as the concrete below him.

I couldn't hold it in and fell to the floor retching all over the carpet. A weak scream escaping from my lips. Just as soon as it started coming out a hand clamped over it not seeming to care for the disgusting fluid I had just spit up. The curtains began to close in front of me, but not before the boy who had crushed the girls head looked me dead in the eyes. Even after the curtains closed I couldn't tear my eyes away from where the person had stood.

Fear rippled up my spine as Rodney yanked me away from the curtains yelling something that went in one ear and out the other. Why was everyone dying. Was I next? I didn't want to die yet, I still had so many things left to do on my bucket list. I still hadn't even had my first kiss yet. And more importantly I had never been sky diving!

He shook his head and dragged me to the back door. He began sprinting across the backyard my wrist still held tightly in his hand. I stumbled over my own feet. I wore an empty expression not knowing how to feel. That girl could've easily been me. I could've seen my last day today.