Chapter Six

A car pulled up outside the compound, catching your attention. George was watching tv, so in awe of the show that he didn’t hear you leave. You ran down the stairs, not wanting to stand and wait in the lift, and pushed open the door out of the building as the other car pulled up. Your heart was hammering against your chest as you pushed a strand of stray hair behind your ear. You were wearing your favourite outfit and had done your make-up especially, it was the nicest you’d looked in a long time. Suddenly extremely nervous, you began to shake. “Where is he?” you asked as Tony, Nat, Peter and Bruce got out the first car. 

“Coming,” said Nat, she noticed the slight smile on your face, the real smile, not the fake one she’d seen this past year, “You look gorgeous by the way,” you smiled at her gratefully, as she went over to talk to the others. Clint, Wanda, Sam and Vision got out of the other car and Peter ran upstairs to check on George for you. Everyone’s eyes flicked over to you, nervously awaiting the approach of the third car. 

Steve pulled up outside the compound, slowly, as usual. Your heart was racing and your hand was shaking uncontrollably but you had a half smile on your face. The door to the passenger side opened and you felt everyone’s eyes on you. Bucky stepped out. He closed the door and turned round. You felt his eyes on you as you looked at the floor. Nerves had filled you, and you were suddenly unsure of what to say. He looked so beautiful, his chestnut brown hair at his shoulders, a strand over his face and his eyes, god his beautiful eyes. He smiled at you. A small tear slid down your cheek. You wanted to run and kiss him, jump into his arms, kiss him and never let him go. But you weren’t sure if that was best. “Hi,” you said, as he walked over to you.

“I think my name is Bucky,” he said, a smile on his face, “I also wanted to apologise for scaring you the other night,” the other night hadn’t left your mind once. 

“It’s okay Buck,” you said, “I um…” you trailed off unsure of whether he remembered your name or not. Feeling the others watching you two, a slight blush crept up your cheeks, “I’m Y/n, I don’t think you remember me, but I never forgot you,” internally cringing for saying that you turned your attention to the strand of hair twirled around your fingers, you’d never been this nervous before in your life. 

“I wish I remembered you,” he said, it was as if he reached out to take your hand but he pulled it back to his side again, “And I guess I’m sorry if I hurt you,” it was not how you expected to see him again, but you didn’t want it any other way. 

Not having a chance to stop yourself you threw your arms around him, pulling him closer to you. Feeling his body tense up as you buried your head into his shoulder, you rubbed circles into his back. He probably didn’t feel anything, you were unsure of how he would react to this, he was clearly not used to this. You weren’t expecting him to wrap his arms around your waist and hold you tighter. 

Bucky POV:

She had her head buried into my shoulder and I tightened my grip on her, pulling her closer to me. I hadn’t expected her to just throw her arms around me like that, and she had felt me tense up, but she just rubbed circles into my back, I held her close to me. “Mommy?” came a voice. I looked over to where the same kid was stood next to Steve. 

Y/n pulled away from me, and wiped the tears from her eyes before turning to the child. She smiled at him and pulled him into a hug, “George,” she said, my head span as she said the name and I stumbled back into the car. All heads turned to me as I leant against the car, my head pounding. It was like a memory was coming back to me but I couldn’t quite picture it, Y/n immediately came over and put a hand on my metal arm. I hated that arm, but she seemed so unfazed by it, like she’d seen it a million times before. Maybe once she had even liked it. No that was stupid, my metal arm is horrible and I hate it. 

“Are you okay?” she asked softly, her eyes filled with worry. Her child, George, followed her over to me and he looked up at me and I watched her gaze fall from me to her kid. He studied me, it was kind of nerve-racking to be honest. 

“Hi” he said, a smile on his face. I watched as Y/n had a smile on her face. She clearly loved this kid, I mean of course, it was her kid. 

“Hey kid,” I said back, expecting her to stop me, expecting her to not want me near her child, but she let me lean out with my right hand and pat his shoulder, “I’m Bucky,” he smiled at me and it made my heart do a flip. I didn’t know why I was so nervous about her kid not liking me, but he smiled. I looked back up to Y/n who had this huge smile across her face. And then I looked over to Steve, who was wiping a tear from his eye. This kid meant a lot to them clearly. I looked back at Y/n, remembering why I came here and stood up. 

“Um Y/n,” I said, she looked from her kid back to me, “I was hoping we could talk?” she looked taken a back for a second, making me regret what I said but then she smiled and nodded. She took her kid’s hand and went back over to the group as I grabbed my journals from the car, I was nervous to talk to her and learn who I really was but I needed to. 

“Yeah sure,” I heard her say. I stood awkwardly, far from the group, not really sure whether to go over or say something. She looked back over to me, and walked over, Steve and another guy following her. 

“You ready?” she asked, her eyes glittering from the winter sun. 

I nodded, slightly nervous, “Yeah,” I said quietly. I hoped I found out everything. 

Authors Note ❤️: Hi omg, I just want to thank everyone for the sweetest comments I keep getting 🥺. I was going to update this earlier but then I failed maths so I kinda have to study now I guess. Anyway, thanks for reading 💞