5. Reality Check

Josh's parents would be here in mere hours and I was still scouring Pinterest for recipe ideas, definitely not wanting a repeat performance of dinner earlier this week with Cory and Topanga. Unfortunately, there was nothing outside the realm of comfort food that my children would enjoy. "Maya, we've been married for nine years" Josh reminds me, yanking my phone from my grip. "You don't need to try so hard in impressing them."

Serving him with a mild glare, I raise an eyebrow. "Oh yea? Josh, I'm pretty sure the only thing I've ever done right in your parents' eyes is give them grandchildren." Rolling his eyes, Josh places my phone on his nightstand and grabs my waist to hoist me up onto his lap where I fit perfectly, like our bodies were made with the other's in mind.

"Maya, my parents have no issue with you. They know what you mean to me and if anything, they admire you for breaking me of my bad habits and getting me to commit." Splaying my hands out across his shoulders memories of our first night together swirl in the forefront of my mind; how I thought he was going to be nothing more than a one night stand unknowing that he was my boss and that I would be starting as his assistant just a few short days later.

Surely, neither of us thought that we would end up here. "You didn't have bad habits" I argue gently, slowly sliding my hands across his shoulder blades as I arch my body into his. "You had a broken heart." Broken by a woman who only cared about the amount of zeros in Josh's bank account. Still to this day, it blew my mind that someone could choose money over love; if something were to happen and we were to become broke overnight, I'd still be the happiest woman on the planet to have Josh by my side.

"My parents would argue that a broken heart isn't a good enough excuse for sleeping one's way through the entire tri-state area, but I appreciate the sentiment" he replies, resting one hand on the small of my back while the other cups my cheek but before he's able to make a singular move, our bedroom door creaks open.

"Mommy? Daddy?" Callie's small voice fills the room and I find myself scrambling off Josh's lap without hesitation. "I can't find Roar." She sniffles, rubbing her eyes before dropping her hand to her side to reveal tear-stained cheeks. If I could guess, she's been looking for her stuffed lion for a while already and has convinced herself that he's been lost to her forever.

"Roar?" Josh sits up, pulling back the blankets intent on helping our daughter find her favorite stuffed animal before he realizes his predicament. I stand up wordlessly and move to help my husband sit up and rest on the edge of the bed.

"I can find it. Just wait here and don't move" I plead with him, cupping his cheek as I stare into his helpless blue eyes. I know he hates this, not being able to help but it'll only be a while longer until he's in therapy to help with his mobility and things can go back to some semblance of normal.

"But My-." Interrupting his protests with a kiss, I gently shake my head before retreating to our daughter and taking her hand in mine.

"C'mon, let's go find Roar" I insist, following my daughter out of my bedroom to her's. Within five minutes with her mattress overturned, she finds her favorite stuffed animal stuck between the wall and the bedframe but luckily, with little resistance it comes free allowing me to return the animal to my heartbroken five year old. "See, told you that we'd find it." Ruffling her hair, I smile before I hear a loud thud coming from down the hall.

Immediately, my heart drops and I find myself quite literally sprinting down the hallway to my bedroom where I find Josh on the floor, trying to get himself back on the bed. "Joshua Gabriel Matthews" I scold, rushing towards him to hook my arms underneath his. "I told you to stay in bed."

"I can't stay in bed anymore; I feel completely useless" he complains. "It's been days and I've hardly seen the rest of the house. I need to get up." Sighing, I straighten and run my fingers through my hair. Admittedly, I know that Josh should be getting up and out of bed but there was a part of me that worried that something would happen to him, like this, and that I wouldn't be able to help him.