Ch. 3 To Lunch Rush

Kirishima took me by the wrist and rushed me down the hallway towards Lunch Rush. It seemed late for food, but who was I to stop him?

"You're hungry huh?" I chuckled, slowing my pace.
"Oh well yeah! Gotta get some fuel for showing off my manly muscles!" He let go of my wrist and flexed his biceps.
"I'm sure you're a real lady killer." I punched him on the arm softly smiling at his lame ass.

He looked away from me and for the first time since meeting he seemed shy and awkward, it was almost like we swapped personalities for a second.  Although it seemed peculiar, it was gone in a second and he was back to his cheesy grinning self. And so we continued down to the cafeteria side by side, Kiri joking, and me quietly enjoying the walk with him.

~~~~~~
Once we arrived at the cafeteria I was appalled at the variety of selection. Fresh produce, traditional Japanese food, and the furthest from connivence store Onigiri I was used to. Kirishima noted how I looked liked a kid in a candy store, and let me loose to pick to my hearts content. He stayed behind for a second and laughed into his hand watching me look around in amazement. He headed towards the rice and protein was, I ran to the desserts first without embarrassment.

Distracted by all the cakes and puddings, I only noticed a girl next to me until she tapped me on the shoulder. I jumped back instinctively, but upon seeing her she seemed kind.

"Sorry bud, I didn't mean to scare you! I've just never seen you around." She smiled wide like Kiri did, and it was starting to become weirdly contagious how kind everyone was.
"Oh yeah, I'm uhm new" I said, looking around for Kiri. I was nervous to introduce myself alone after he had essentially become my chaperone.
I picked up some purin out of the fridge and, tried to walk away. Even though it might be perceived as rude, I kept my eyes on the floor, going to pay for my dessert.

At the end of the line I saw Kiri, going to pay for the huge plate of meat on his tray. Like prey running for their life from a predator, I practically ran into his arms. He could cut the tension for me.

"Oh hey Mina!" He smiled at the girl who'd been following me. I realized the situation seemed more dramatic in my head, as the girl and I had essentially just been walking in the same direction.
"Did you meet y/n?" He asked, grabbing me by the shoulders and turning me around to face her.
"I well I tried." She squinted at me with her dark eyes. I looked back Kiri, his hands still on my shoulders.
"He's kinda shy! Promise he's cool, he's passed my test." I saw him wink at Mina out of the corner of my eye.

She was still squinting at me suspiciously, until she suddenly stuck her hand out to me.
"Mina Ashido!" I took her hand and shook it.
"y/n... I uh like your outfit." I said.
"You're right, he seems cute." She smiled at me.
"Handshake's kinda weak for a guy, but we can work on it." She whispered to Kiri, despite the obvious fact I could hear her. They seemed to be good friends, or maybe more I was never very good at telling those kinds of things.

Kirishima picked up his lunch tray and invited her to sit with us, to which she happily obliged. We sat down at the end of the long table, Kiri and I on one side and Ashido on the other.
We said our thanks, and immediately Kirishima started devouring his meal. I took the covering off of my pudding and took a bite. It was as sweet and rich as anything I'd ever tasted.

"So when did you guys meet?" Mina asked, siting on her chair with her knees up, casually munching on some dried seaweed.
"Uhm actually just this morning." I replied. It still seemed odd to me that we had only been friends for around 12 hours.
"How about you two? You seem to be well acquainted." I adjusted my glasses, then resumed resting my hands in my lap.

"Yeah, we are good friends! I only met him at the entrance exam though. That's the case for almost all of us, so don't worry about feeling left out." She waved the seaweed around while she talked until she was finished chewing, then popped more into her mouth. "We've all known each other for half a school year. We're all pretty nice to each other, so hopefully you'll get used to everyone around here, just as quick as we did..." She though for a second "well nice to each other with the exception of Katsuki... but that's okay."
"Kind of hard not to bond with villains showing up to our rescue training." Kiri added.
"Blame All Might." Mina rolled her eyes and laughed.

~~~~~~
"So y/n, what's the quirk?" She leaned forward in her seat, hugging her knees.
"Well uh, it's called Glass Butterfly..." I trailed off not wanting to continue. She leaned closer to take a look at my wings. Please no further.
"Oh man! Your quirk does have a name!!!" Kirishima seemed excited to know that fact.
"Why don't you show him yours Mina?" He contributed, shifting the conversation. I tried to thank him with my eyes, but I don't know how well it worked.
She immediately shot some fluid from her forefinger onto Kiri's plate. "Hey!!! I was gonna eat that!!" He replied, hearing his meat sizzle in a bad way as it dissolved from her acid. I could've sworn I saw a tear in his eye.
"Oh relax you can have mine." She put her yakatori on his plate and stayed standing, seemingly ready to take off.

"Well y/n I've gotta run, but I'll see you soon." She winked at me before sliding across the tile floor and into the hall on her acid. Hopefully the janitor has a magic acid cleaning quirk...

Kirishima finished Mina's yakatori and rested his elbows on the table. He seemed quiet, but still happy, I think.
"So she's cute huh?" I said, looking at him. "And she seems kind of into you?" I laughed nervously. Initiating conversation is always difficult.
"Oh! Nah, I don't know... she's one of my best friends." He replied. Either way I was glad he snapped out of his little silent streak. Probably just thinking, I tend to get lost in thought too.

"Hey, I'll take your plate." I smiled, reaching for his plate with one hand and grabbing my own with the other. He smiled back sweetly.

"Thanks y/n!"