11| SOMETHING HAPPENS IN THE WOODS

TW // animal death

11| SOMETHING HAPPENS IN THE WOODS

[ Chapter Eleven ]

❝Do you think that was the same thing that Mom saw?❞

[Chapter Five: The Flea and the Acrobat]

>> >> >>

Once the sun went down, Beth started getting worried. There was no sign of the creature and the three teenagers were still traispersing through the woods, which were getting very dark. Beth knew that they had come out there to find the creature but Beth was starting to be very worried about their plan. I mean, none of the teenagers were very good at using a gun and if it came down to it, would any of them actually shoot something, even if it was trying to kill them.

Nancy suddenly stopped and grabbed Beth's arm, causing Jonathan looked behind him at the two girls.

"What, are you tired?" Jonathan asked.

"No. Shut up." Nancy quieted him.

"What's going on?" Beth asked in a hushed whisper.

"I thought I heard something." Nancy said, looking between the twins and the woods around them.

Beth fell silent and looked around the woods until she heard a faint whimper. Beth's eyes widened, "It's coming from over there."

The three walked in the direction of the sound and shone their flashlights on the ground. Soon they spotted a deer that looked like it had been severely injured.

"Oh God." Nancy said, and kneeled down beside it, "It's been hit by a car."

Beth winced in sympathy. She hated seeing animals hurt and she felt ill as she knew there was nothing they could do.

"We can't just leave it." Nancy said, looking back at both twins.

Jonathan looked at Nancy before gesturing to the gun in her hand. Nancy looked confused for a second before she realized what he was suggesting. Nancy gripped the gun tighter and shakingly raised it towards the deer but didn't do anything for almost a solid minute.

Jonathan held out his hand, "I'll do it."

"Jonathan?" Beth asked, questioningly as she looked at her brother.