7

Sensei Lawrence rushes over, trying to check on Robby. "Get the hell away from me!" He waves him off with his good arm. I furrow my eyebrows, not knowing why he would even want to see if Robby is okay.

"Back to your side of the mat!" The referee calls.

As he backs away, he smacks Hawk on the shoulder. "The hell were you thinking man?!" He scolds.

I shake my head and tune them out as I look back down to Robby. "Can you get up?" He nods slowly, face contorted in pain. Slowly, I help him get up and look over in time to see Miguel yank Hawk off the mat to tear him a new one.

A volunteer helps me get Robby back to the locker room. He sits down on a bench as the volunteer leaves. "Let me take a look at that," I instruct.

"It's okay, I don't want you to be uncomfortable," he denies my attempt at helping.

I laugh, gently helping him expose his shoulder so I can test its limits. "Didn't you hear out there? I've already seen you way more exposed than this," I smirk without any humor.

"Yeah...what was that about?" He winces as I pull his arm up to find his range of motion. "Why does he think we're screwing?"

Scoffing at the absurdity, I rest his hand in his lap and cross my arms. "Because a guy can cheat on his girlfriend and be praised by the masses for being a player. But a girl has a couple of guy friends and suddenly she's a slut." I shrug.

"He's the tool that cheated on you at the party?" He scoffs in return.

"Wasn't a tool when I fell for him," I whisper, "I guess they never are, huh?" Clearing my throat, I sit down across from him. "Sorry, about your shoulder. He only kicked you that hard because I was cheering for you instead of him."

He shakes his head, reaching over to squeeze my shoulder with his good arm. "I don't blame you. In fact, I actually appreciate you being the only one cheering for me as loud as you were."

"Mr. LaRusso was cheering for you too." I smile at him. "But, I cheer for my friends." I shrug.

"Is that what we are?" He laughs and something tingles in my chest but I don't pay attention to it. "What a downgrade from sleeping together," he teases.

I chuckle through my nose and shake my head. "Right?? But such an upgrade from coworkers!" Our giggles die down and he looks at me curiously.

"You know all about Miyagi-Do karate, right?" I nod, sucking on my bottom lip. "So why aren't you in the tournament too. Or at least training with Mr. LaRusso?"

Movement catches my eye and I see him standing at the doorway. "Maybe, if you're lucky, I'll tell you another time. I think your sensei wants to talk to you alone." He whirls around and sees Mr. LaRusso entering. "Good luck out there if you decide to fight. It wouldn't be the first time someone won with an injury like that." I smile knowingly at Mr. LaRusso before winking at Robby as I leave.

"Don't think I've forgotten that I want to know why you stopped training," he says sternly.

I walk backward out of the locker room. "Yeah, yeah," I laugh and disappear from sight. Reentering the gym, my eyes scan the room and fall on Miguel and Sam having a heated conversation. "Oh, boy."

Miguel goes back to stretching and I watch as Sam leaves. I make my way over to him and ignore Hawk's eyes on me the whole time. Sneaking up behind Miguel, I bring my hands down on his shoulders and squeeze.

"Hey, rockstar!" I giggle as he jumps, looking around in panic before shoving me playfully. "Things looked a little intense with you and Sam. All good?"