I - Lost

My mind was a mess.

I backtracked my memory so many times, trying to find my own name, yet the earliest I could remember was waking up in the middle of the woods. Sparks of memories made me remember something about sinking and a heavy longing to see someone, but that was all I could remember. Surely, I would remember something once I got out of these woods, wouldn't I?
Still, the memories of the past were being erased so quickly; as if someone cast an amnesiac spell on me. I couldn't do anything, and the fact that I couldn't do anything made me tremble.

"It'll be okay, Missy! The witch will find a way to help you! So let's get to her palace first." Was what Mr. Toby said a while ago to calm me down, but hearing 'witch' planted a bit of worry within me. Explaining the situation I was in and, of course, circling around my mind for my name were the only thoughts I had whilst keeping up with Mr. Toby.

Still no sign of coming out, Mr. Toby didn't walk too fast, even though I would really like him to tread faster because that would mean getting out of the eerie woods faster too. Even so, my legs were still weak and I could barely stand up. I hoped he didn't feel bogged down by how slowly I walked.
Knowing that Mr. Toby was always close made me feel calm. The owls were still hooting, and crickets, still chirping. The air smelled like damp, grassy soil—usual for forested areas. These woods could be a good place to relax in when it's daytime, but it was cold and scary at night. I could feel stares and something tailing me from behind, and if it weren't for Mr. Toby I would've gotten lost in mere seconds since I couldn't see very far ahead due to the dark.

"Oh? Aah! So that's where my furball landed!" Mr. Toby looked surprised. He stopped and looked to the dozens of tree twigs that hung above. "Darn bullies, such a good throw."

"Mr. Toby?" I called. "What's wrong?"
"You see, Missy. Founding you was a lucky chance; I wouldn't possibly come to the woods in the first place without a good reason to. Earlier today, I was playing with my furballs, as usual. I was minding my own business when some bullies came to me and threw one of my furballs into the forest!" He explained as he scratched the tree trunks below it to give noticeable marks. "But climbing this tree will take a few hours throughout a few tries, and you, Missy, must get out of here pronto! Therefore I shall come back to get my furball later. Worry not! I know the way around these woods quite well if I say so myself."

"I see..." My voice faded as, somehow, a part of my heart resonated. His story rang a bell somewhere; it was strangely relatable. Of course, he never told me about this before, but when he mentioned about the bullies, the feeling of futile struggle, the hopeless cries for help, the silent tears... they panged my heart. It was as if, in mere seconds, I knew what being bullied felt like, even though I didn't remember it happening to me. That surge of emotions had made me stood breathless for a while.
I needed to get out of here, but at the same time, a call to help rang through me.

"Mr. Toby, wait." I stopped him. "I think I can climb the tree and get your furball." I walked to the tree, grabbing the trunk and branches to get a feel of it.

"Oh, Missy! You don't need to! It's dangerous!"
"Don't worry! I'll get it down as soon as I can!"

It was strange; just then, I was melancholic about the bullies, but another feeling resonated within me as I started climbing. This time, it was of something positive—of helping people, and putting their needs ahead of mine. Again, I didn't remember yet it was familiar. It didn't pang my heart like the bullies; it filled me with warmth and courage instead. It made me scale the tree enthusiastically.
Parts of my dress' hem got stuck between the splinters and torn apart, but it was not much as I managed to grab the twigs and wiggled it. Soon after, the furball dropped down.