Chapter 8

Roxanne slept fitfully that night, tossing and turning, struggling to break free from Zach's vice like grip around her waist. He was in such a deep sleep that nothing she did could make him stir and she tried everything: shaking, shouting, slapping. Nothing. Not even a twitch. Eventually she gave up, lying back against the pillows stupidly allowing her mind to wander aimlessly, reliving past events. Her childhood; how close she was to Blaine before... everything. Everything. That was a topic her mind went to anyway despite her subconscious screaming at her that it was a bad idea. The images of Damien hunched over himself on the pavement, dying slowly in his own blood. So vivid, it was as if she was back on the street waiting for the ambulance, waiting for her brother to be saved from death. Zach finally stirred beside her, releasing his unintentionally strong grip.

"Rox. Hey, hey, don't cry. What's wrong?" Waking up, Zach sat up upon the sight of Roxanne's face coated with tears. Her eyes and nose were red, her hair messy from a bad night's sleep. He reached a hand out to wipe her tears away but there were too many, he'd barely ever seen her this upset, even her nightmares never made her cry like that.

"I'm tired Zach. I'm done with all the drama, so much has happened and I can't take it. You and Blaine getting on is the best thing that's happened over these past few days but other than that it's been pretty damn shit. I mean I get it, you and your family are vampires and I can accept that now, God knows why. I love you and even a secret that big can't change that. Blaine's my brother, he didn't ask for what happened but he doesn't make things any easier for himself, going after Evan, what an absolute fucking idiot. I feel so out of it. I don't fit in anymore, not with any of you. Oh my God, Damien. Can we go and see him today, please, I hope he's woken up." Roxanne exhaled after her brief rant, turning her exhausted gaze to meet Zach's eyes. Venting had felt good, to finally be able to get all her thoughts off her chest at once lifted a weight even though the burden remained heavy, a persistent ache creating a headache in the depths of her mind.

"Of course Rox, not yet though. First you need to eat. You have to go and see Blaine too, you're both hurting and pushing each other away is going to do nothing. If we go over and you make up then we can all go and see Damien, okay? But you have to promise to try for me. Deal?" Knowing how fragile Roxanne was feeling Zach tentatively tried to bargain. He could see, before his eyes, she was breaking, falling to pieces, there in his bed and there wasn't a thing he could do to stop it.

"Hmm." Roxanne nodded her agreement, normally Zach would have pushed for at least the word 'promise' but he knew better than to force her in their current situation. Leaning over he scooped her up easily into his arms, holding her to his chest, kissing the crown of her head. Carefully, Zach carried her down the stairs and into the kitchen, placing her onto a stool at the breakfast bar. Roxanne stared off absentmindedly to nowhere in particular, her thoughts in far off lands, places where fear and pain and death freely roamed and attacked anyone and everyone in their path. Zach placed a small plate of food in front of her, knowing her appetite wouldn't be huge, and watched as she went through the motions of eating. Apart from chewing her face remained vacant, not a tear was shed, the past few days had stolen all the tears she had left, like a tenacious thief. She had nothing more to give.

*

When both Roxanne and Zach were dressed they left to go and make things up with Blaine. Roxanne's lack of protest against the idea showed Zach just how drained she was, she had no fight remaining. They entered the house to find Blaine in the kitchen, leaning against a counter, staring intently at the table.

"Blaine. Rox has something she'd like to say." Zach, acting as a peacemaker, stepped further into the kitchen attempting to ease Blaine out of his stupor so bridges could be built. Reaching back for Roxanne's hand, Zach gently tugged her forward and pulled out a chair for her to sit down. She shook her head, letting go of Zach's hand and approaching Blaine, grabbing his hand along with his attention.