I

Jade could not sleep for she was too anxious, too nervous for what the day would bring. She had just returned home and only a day later she was being thrust into the public eye to be presented to the Queen like a doll. Just thinking of the start of the social season made her physically ill. After the commotion she caused she dreaded the moment where she would find out what everyone truly thought of her, and even worse, what twisted version her mother had spun to conceal the shameful truth.

The sun had barely risen when a series of soft knocks rained upon Jade's bedroom door. Like ducks in a row, three of her mother's handmaidens rushed into the room eager to get Jade ready for the long day and night ahead. "Please tell me you are here to kill me" Jade sighed as the three women circled above her bed.

"I am afraid not Lady Carter," Beth, her favorite handmaiden, said, "The Duchess requires your presence for breakfast before you and your sisters' presentation before the Queen today." Jade sighed once again, but started to rise from the sweet comforts of her large bed.

"Alright then ladies, we mustn't keep the Duchess waiting of course" Jade rolled her eyes as the women began dressing her for the day. Her thick brown hair cascaded down her back in soft curls, and she wore a stunning yet simple light lavender dress that complemented her corseted figure.

Jade slowly made her way to the Carter family's drawing room, where she knew her mother and sisters were already sitting waiting for Jade's fashionably late arrival. As soon as she softly opened the door all chatter between the three women stopped, as they stared Jade down as she made her way to sit next to her sister Alice. Alice shot her a soft comforting smile but although she appreciated it, Jade knew nothing could comfort her from the terror she felt at being in the presence of her mother. "How gracious of you to join us Jade." Lily shot her a sickly sweet smile with sinister eyes from her given spot next to their mother.

"Now now Lily, there is no need to be cruel so early in the morning, I am sure Jade has a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why she could not grace us with her presence on time." Winifred, the Dowager Duchess spoke to her eldest child with a suspicious smirk on her face.

Jade felt her cheeks blush red as all the rebellious things that had been on the tip of her tongue had vanished as soon as her mother spoke, just like they always did. "I am truly sorry Mama, I hope you can forgive me." Jade pathetically answered with her head down. The Duchess merely smirked at the power she held over her child and began a separate conversation with Lily about what she was to wear when presented to the Queen.

Jade felt the tears glistening in her soft brown eyes, but upon the soft touch of her sister's hand on her shoulder she remembered she could not show weakness when in the company of her shrew sister and mother. "It'll be alright Jadey, you know they are only bored and wish to see you cry" her sister Alice softly spoke while rubbing comforting circles into Jade's shoulder.

Jade softly looked up into Alice's kind face and spoke gravely, "I know Al, I was foolish to think that after the events of last year maybe they would gain compassion." Alice could only sigh, remembering the panic and worry she felt towards her elder sister. Alice wished she could take away her sister's internal pain, and her heart ached for Jade, as she was fortunate enough as the middle child to be forgotten and therefore never swept up in Lily and Winifred's cruelty.

Alice and Jade were broken from their soft conversation as the sharp voice of Winifred began speaking to her three daughters. "Girls, as you know today marks the very start of the season and you all know how important your presentation towards the Queen is. If the Queen deems you improper, then all the suitors shall follow and you will become a disgrace to the impeccable Carter name." Winifred turned as she directed her last words towards Jade, "Remember girls, everyone is always watching for signs of weakness, especially after the sudden death of your father. If there is even one little crack in our presentation, Lady Whistledown will ruin us and I simply will not allow our respected name to be ruined any more than it already has." Winifred's bird-like eyes passed over each of her daughters analyzing which cracks she needed to glue together before the night ahead. Winifred stood suddenly and shined a fake smile, "Now then, I do believe we have wasted more than enough time here and you three should begin to get ready," Winifred started to turn away but paused saying in a sickly sweet voice, "One last thing darlings, don't disappoint me." With those last words hanging uncomfortably in the air, Winifred spun around on her heel and quickly strutted from the room feeling rather satisfied at the fear she could impose on her children.

Alice shuddered as she felt her mother's cold energy leave the room. "Well isn't she just a ray of sunshine in the morning!" Alice said sarcastically. Jade's shoulders relaxed, no longer feeling the need to be on her guard waiting for her mother to pounce.

Lily rolled her eyes at her sister, "Don't be so naïve Alice, Mama only wants this season to go as smoothly as possible, especially after the commotion of last year; isn't that right Jadey?" Lily mocked.

Although she was terrified of her mother, Jade felt no need to be scared of Lily as in the end she was nothing more than a petulant child, acting the way she felt would earn their mother's affection. "Oh please Lily Mama isn't here anymore, no need to prove yourself" Jade spat towards her sister. Lily only rolled her eyes and left the room following her mother's orders on getting ready for the first event of the season, as Jade and Alice begrudgingly stalked behind. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There we go first chapter done! I am so excited about this story and I hope this first chapter introduced you to the dynamic between the Carters and sets the scene for their relationship before I have them interact with the Bridgerton characters. Hopefully I can have a few more chapters uploaded today, but if not expect them tomorrow. :) 

As always please vote and comment!!