V

As Jade Carter awoke the morning after Lady Danbury's ball she couldn't help the small smile that made its way to her face. She hadn't been able to contain her happiness since her magical dance with Anthony Bridgerton the night before. She wondered if he was thinking of her, and if he too wished the night before had never ended. Jade never wanted to leave the comfort of the Viscount's arms, and she blushed at the thought of waking up beside him, his strong arm around her waist pulling her close into his chest because he too never wanted her to leave.

Jade shook the thought out of her head and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. Only a moment later Beth quietly entered Jade's bedroom to help her get ready for the long day of visiting suitors who wished to call upon her. She was already dreading having to pretend to be interested in boring conversation and undesirable men, but the sooner the suitors left the sooner the Carters could go to the Bridgerton's estate for tea.

As usual Jade was the last one to arrive at the drawing room where her sisters and mother were already conversing with various suitors who were making themselves comfortable. Jade began to make her way over to say good morning to Alice when she was intercepted by the dreadful Lord Berbrooke. Jade had to hold back a grimace at the sight of the grimy man. "Lady Carter you are looking quite stunning this morning." Lord Berbrooke said as he tried to form a charming smile.

Jade heard Alice and Lily hold back quiet laughter at the uncomfortable look on her face. "Lord Berbrooke I thank you very much for your kind compliment." she quickly responded with a fake smile.

Berbrooke nodded before he began to speak again, "Excuse me for being blunt Lady Carter, but I can't help but admire your beauty and would be honored to show you off and have you as my wife."

This time Jade could not hold back her gasp. "Lord Berbrooke I am flattered but it is only the beginning of the season. It certainly would not be fair if I were to marry the first man that proposed." Jade tried to let Berbrooke down gently, but it seemed she had failed as Berbrooke grew angry very quickly and stormed out of the Carter household.

Jade let out a sigh of relief and walked over to her sisters who were folded over laughing at the awkward interaction. "It's not funny sisters."

"Oh you are quite right Jade; it's hilarious!" Alice started laughing again as Lily continued, "Lord Berbrooke, the man that no debutante has ever wanted to marry just proposed on the second day of the season!" Jade rolled her eyes but couldn't help but let out a soft giggle of her own at the sight of her younger sisters having fun.

The girls quickly stopped laughing and regained their composure as Alice spotted Winifred making her way to her daughters. "Girls it has been a rather long day, do you wish to see more suitors or shall we begin again tomorrow?" Winifred asked. All the girls exclaimed that they were tired and wished to finally make their way to the Bridgerton estate.

As soon as the Carters were let into the Bridgerton home they could hear faint arguing from deeper inside the house. The voices became clearer as a butler led them closer to the drawing room. "Only they are true brother and they are true because of you. You have managed to scare every worthy suitor away. Whistledown has merely reported it!" the women could hear Daphne's voice.

"I am looking out for you, I am protecting you! It is my duty." a voice that could only be Anthony responded.

The doors to the drawing room were then thrown open abruptly ending the argument between the siblings and Violet couldn't have been more relieved. "Winifred!" Violet called towards her old friend, "I am elated you accepted my invitation for tea this afternoon, come let's take a walk through the gardens like we used to." Winifred did not have a chance to respond as Violet basically dragged her out of the drawing room eager to get away from her quarreling children.