The Letter

"Scott, this came in the mail for you!" Called out Mrs. Daniel to the boy whom she had raised as her own.

"Who the hell could this be?" Inquired twenty year old Scott retrieving the letter from Mrs. Daniel.

"Read it," she said while settling on the couch with a large coffee mug.

"How does this person even know ma' real name, it's addressed to Scott Johnson." He said while scrunching up his face and opening up the letter. He read it out loud:

After many years of searching have finally located you. am your father's sister, my name is Tina Romana Johnson. When heard of your parents'death, wanted to come look for you but unfortunately, when I was days away from leaving, had a stroke. It really had an impact on me and am still  very weak because of my age. know this is sudden, but  have left plane ticket attached to this letter and would like you to come live with me at the address below.

Love, your Aunt Tina.

Scott pulled the ticket attached to the letter.

"It's to Jamaica and it leaves in a week," he mumbled.

"Tina Romana Johnson. I've read of her," said Mrs. Daniel standing up and looking through old magazines in the bookshelf. "Here it is, Caribbean Food! Let's see, after the stroke, she was interviewed and she mentioned that if she dies, her riches will belong to her unidentified nephew. She says that she has been trying to locate her deceased brother's son for years. She is the owner of a chain of five star restaurants across the Caribbean. She stays in Montego Bay. Ooh, here's a picture."

"She looks cool." Scott remarked while running his fingers through his short black curls.

"So are you going?" She asked.

"Man, I don't know. Will y'all be good without me? I mean, I need to take care of you two," he said referring to Mrs. Daniel and her husband.

"What are you talking about? We're in our forties. We don't need you too take care of us. Plus it's only for a few months, we'll manage," said Mr. Daniel while putting his newspaper on the coffee table.

"Plus this is a wonderful opportunity! I wouldn't give up a free trip. Let's get packing!" She exclaimed taking the last sip of coffee.

*******

"What do you think I should bring in my carry on?" Sighed Scott on the day of the flight.

"I'm not sure, but I hope you packed the letter, it had the address you need," answered Mrs. Daniel.

"Yeah, I did." He replied while putting his iPad, his laptop, his phone, along with all the chargers and a few extra stuff into his carry on. He zipped it up and set it down on the bed. "All done."

"All set? Ready for the airport?"

"Yes ma'am." He smiled.

After a long car ride and all the lectures, they finally arrived at the airport. Piarco International Airport. Scott hasn't been here since he was 5 years old.

"Well, your flight leaves soon. You need to get going." Mrs. Daniel said lowly.

"I'll miss you." Scott mumbled. She looked up at him with glossy eyes and hugged him.

"Now you better call me everyday and remember all what I told you." She said sternly while letting him go.

"I will, I promise."

"Good now get your backside on that plane!" She said playfully.

"Bye Rachael. Bye James," He call out to them by their first names.

"Bye baby boy." She said while waving and resting her head on her husband's shoulder. 

"Bye Scott," said Mr. Daniel.

Scott took one more glance at the couple who raised him up as their own son before slowly boarding the plane.

When he finally got in, he found his seat and put his carry-on in the over head compartment and closed it. He took a seat and before long they were taking off.

From Port-Of-Spain to Montego Bay.

Thanks for reading the first chapter. Hope  you are enjoyin gthis book so far. - Sage

Make sure to leave a comment telling us what you think of the book so far. We would appreciate if you vote and add our book to your library :) - xxx Jain