✵Chapter Four✵

It is now the day of the Grand Spring Ball.
The exterior of the academy's castle walls are decorated with multiple colorful designs, kindly created by Miss Pentangle with her magic.
Her whole school is here, many of the male students are quietly exploring classrooms and gardens, still many hours to go before the event starts.
Obviously, most of the girls are in awe because of the male students but Mildred could not care less, she is currently fixing small details on her dress in the quiet of her room.
Ethel sits cross-legged on her bed looking at her with attention and a dreamy expression.

«If you look so hard you will end up burning the fabric!»
Mildred jokes, smiling in her direction.
«I'm looking at you, not the dress!
It's so interesting to see yourself truly committed to something other than near-failing a magic test.»
«Ha-ha, really funny Hallow!
You still haven't shown me your dress, are you hiding something from me?»
Ethel knows that Mildred isn't aware of what's really going to happen at the ball, but that question makes her panic and she smiles nervously, trying not to sweat or scream.
«It's...it's a surprise of course! You are not ready to see my beautiful and elegant dress yet...»
«Mh well, I can't wait!
You will certainly be beautiful and I bet that many guys will want to dance with you, just thinking about it makes me want to bite them like a mad dog!»
Oh no...this is not going well and the event hasn't even started...” Ethel thinks.
In a moment of panic, Ethel pretends to look at a non-existent watch on her right wrist and with a perfect worried actress expression she hurries to find an excuse to run away.
«Oh no it's very late!
I have to mirror my mother to find out when she's coming.
See you at the party, don't be late!»
Ethel really doesn't want Mildred to be late, being in the same room with all those guys without her girlfriend almost disgusts her and she hasn't even met one yet; she's been inside Mildred's room since this morning.
«Don't worry, see you later!» Mildred replies, without looking up from her dress.
The fabric looks very expensive, dark green and slightly shimmery, it's not very long and stops just below the knees.
A slightly lighter colored and even more shimmering cape will make it more traditional.
Ethel closes the door behind her, and after a deep sigh she prepares to talk to her mother.

_______________

«So is it confirmed? Will you come?»
The expression on Ethel's face is indecipherable, a mixture of fear and excitement.
«My dear, of course I will come!
I can't wait to photograph the two of you together, for the photo wall so everyone can admire the perfection of our two families.»
Her mother answers immediately from the other side of the mirror, already dressed up for the upcoming event.
«Well, see you then, see you later mother.»
Her voice is cold and she feels like old Ethel from months ago.
The magical call is interrupted and observes her reflection for a few seconds.
Sybil opens the door without warning, calmly and cautiously, and looks at her older sister with worried and sad eyes.
«Sorry Ethel, I heard the bad news.
Isn't there any hope he won't show up?»
Ethel sighs and turns her gaze to her sister, leaning against the door.
«No Sybil, unfortunately my..."boyfriend" is already here.»