Chapter 8: I was Captured

After the tea party, I’m talking about today’s events while sitting on Father’s knee. We’re currently on a carriage heading towards one of Father’s private residences.

「… Rick?」
「……… Do you know that child…?」
「Yes…… He’s the son of one of my acquaintances.」

Muu…… Is your work related to children, Father? But then why was I sent away clumsily in the past? Was he perhaps being bullied by the children with jeers of 『Fuhaha, what a bumpkin!』 and the like?

「Isn’t going… No good?」
「I wonder……」

Ah, no good. If Father says to go, even if I hate it, I can’t bring myself to say no. His reaction, however, is one that makes me feel as though he’s troubled about my opinion.

「If Yurushia doesn’t want to go, then –」
「I’ll go.」
「Eh?!」

Even though I, with great pains, made up my mind… Why is Father so surprised?

「D-Does Yurushia… Like Rick…?」
「…… Eh?」

Why…? The flow of the conversation has become strange.

「Is that so…… Rick has…」

F-Father…? Why is there an evil smile plastered on your mouth? Vio too? Why is Father’s hand on his sword?

I don’t understand the situation, but are you planning on using it against someone? Please don’t. Although, coming from a Demon, telling him not to cut someone down isn’t very convincing.

Rather than Father, I’ll do it myself if it means keeping the blood off his hands. Umu. I would.

I’d even lift the ban on the certain-death G-rank Summoning.

Well, setting that aside, Father’s mood has become quite bad. But I still have a card up my sleeve. Throughout all of history, Fathers have always been weak to flattery from their young daughters.

「I wish to marry Father, though?」
「… I-Is that so?」

S-So easily…… I’ll become uneasy if your mood can be reversed so easily, Father.
When it’s time for me to be married, things might get a bit difficult…… Your appearance alone scared me, after all.

                            ***
「He’s not…… Returning home, huh.」

While looking outside her mansion’s window towards the dark sky, Albertine let out a small voice only audible to herself. She took care in confirming, as if to let the truth sink in……

About a year ago, the times her husband hadn’t returned home increased. The official story was that he was out inspecting their territory, but in reality her husband was a key figure in the country, and spent most of his time in the Imperial Capital.

Naturally, his wife Albertine and two daughters lived there as well; his daughters were born there, too. There were very few people who actually took up residence in their territory’s Manor. Albertine’s children recognized their secondary residence in the Imperial Capital as 『Home』.

Indeed, the Imperial Capital was pleasant to live in. Compared to their Manor in the territory, the Capital is gorgeous, and it was easy to know the latest trends, and get one’s hands on any news.

It was a society where a ball is held somewhere almost every evening, and invitations to tea parties are common during the day. Beautiful women of high status and wealth often invited Albertine to compete in their social events, and showered her in praise.

But to Albertine, they were her enemies.

It wasn’t to the point that she’d pick a fight with them, but she ignored Young Nobles as if they didn’t even exist, and did the same to Old Nobles who held power but found her husband pitiful.