the duel | anthony

first imagine, so I know it won't be the best, but hope you enjoy it nonetheless!

-----

"This is madness!" You heard Daphne muttering from the room next to yours. Wondering what she was possibly referring to, you slowly left your room, and quietly knocked on her door. You waited for a moment, before the opening of her door revealed a look of panic etched on Daphne's face.

"What is going on Daph?" you asked softly, noticing her frustrated and frazzled behaviour.

Daphne opened the door wider and beckoned you in, shutting the door behind you. "Your husband and Simon are to compete in a duel, Y/N. I cannot bear the thought of it. You have to help me stop it."

"W-What?" you asked, silently praying that she would say it wasn't true. But you could tell from the look on her face that she wasn't lying, and it broke your heart.

Your mind was racing with the thought of Anthony going into a duel, and the possibility that he would not return. You loved him with everything in you, and you could not bear the thought of him being taken away from you so soon.

After Daphne had explained the reasoning behind Anthony and Simon's duel, you understood why Anthony had gone. You knew that Anthony loved Daphne and would do anything to protect her, as well as the rest of his family. However, you also knew that there were reasons behind Daphne and the Duke's actions, and that what had happened did not need to cause someone's death.

With this, you grabbed Daphne's hands, and told her to go and ask Colin where this duel was to take place, whilst you went to get the horses. Once Colin and Daphne had got to you, the three of you immediately raced towards the duel, only hoping that it was not too late.

When the duel was in sight, you noticed the Duke standing with his pistol aimed at the sky, whilst Anthony's arm was outstretched with his gun directly pointed at the Duke. You could not even imagine what was going through their minds, but before you could even consider it, Daphne raced ahead of you right into the middle of the duel, just as a gunshot went off. You rode as fast as you could, getting off your horse as you saw Anthony and Simon run up to Daphne who was lying on the ground.

"Oh, good God," you heard Anthony sigh in relief as Daphne began to rise, before he turned around to see you standing there. "Y/N, what are you doing here—", but before he could finish his sentence, you hugged him with all your strength. His arms wrapped around you, and you rested your head on his chest.

"I thought it might've been too late. Anthony, don't ever do something like this again, do you hear me? You could've died, you know."

"I'm so sorry Y/N, but I had to. He took her honour, and I could not just let that slide."

"I know, Anthony, I know." You looked up to see Daphne having a conversation with the Duke, however the look on Daphne's face told you that it was not going well. Knowing that the duel would have to continue, you met Anthony's eyes before giving him a gentle kiss and letting his forehead rest on yours as you closed your eyes, hoping to savour the moment for as long as you could.

But soon enough the moment ended as you heard Anthony sigh before he said, "We must resume before someone should find us." You gave him one last kiss just as you heard Daphne speak, "There will be no need to resume. The Duke and I are to be married."

You stood there looking just as confused as everyone else did, however you could not help the joy that you felt, not only that Daphne was finally getting married, but that Anthony would return home after all. 

-----