not me | simon

first simon imagine - enjoy!

-----

Sitting in the aisle with the rest of your family, you watched what should have been one of the happiest moments, Daphne and Simon's wedding. But how could you be happy? The person that your heart ached for was standing only a few metres away, marrying your younger sister.

When they began courting, you didn't quite believe it. You and Simon had been so close, you being Anthony's twin and therefore you had been a frequent visitor when they were in each other's company at Oxford. You and Simon had often exchanged letters, and had developed a close friendship, however you had quickly realised that what you felt was not just that of friendship. When his letters arrived, you stomach erupted with butterflies, and when he finally returned to London after his father's death, you were ecstatic to see him after so long.

But your heart was crushed after you watched Daphne and Simon grow close, and the way he gazed at her as if she was the most beautiful girl in the room. It was all you had ever dreamed of that you would be the one he looked at in that way. You had hoped that he would feel the same way towards you as you did him, but you had pushed your feelings for Simon aside when you saw the happiness that radiated off of Daphne's face, and you acted as the delighted and proud older sister, knowing that your feelings for Simon would never be reciprocated.

When you heard of their engagement, you forced yourself to remain joyful when you congratulated them, but you had quickly retreated to your room with a lump in your throat, before bursting into tears when you shut your door. Anthony had found you staring out of the window with a blank look on your face and had quickly noticed your tear-stained cheeks before consoling you. You never asked him if he knew of your feelings for Simon before then, but his comfort was all you needed at that moment.

And now, watching them get married was causing the ache in your chest to grow. Anthony sat next to you squeezing your hand to reassure you. After the ceremony had ended, you all returned to the house to celebrate and rejoice in the newly married couple. You were standing with your mother when you noticed Daphne walking up the stairs, and you decided to follow her. Despite your feelings for Simon, you knew that Daphne was probable nervous for what was to happen next in her life.

You knocked on her door and entered to see her breathing heavily, and as you shut the door you said, "I know it must be difficult to be leaving this house, Daph."

"I have many memories here," she replied.

"And you will make new ones with your husband," You said to her, holding back your tears when you said that word that you had dreaded admitting to yourself was true.

"Ah, my husband. Seems so strange to finally be able to say that." You could see the happiness on her face, but there was some uncertainty that pained you to see.

"I suppose I have put this conversation off for as long as I can," you said as you sat down next to her, taking her hand in yours. "Daphne, I know that you're anxious about what is to come, but I see the way that you look at Si– the Duke, and the way he looks at you. It is a look filled with love, and I strongly believe that however you feel about what will happen, he will be most kind and accepting toward you. You care for each other so deeply, it is so beautiful to see. You will be happy Daph, I know it."

--

As you walked out of the house, you saw Simon standing in front of the carriage. Your eyes met his, and you halted. You couldn't look away, trapped in his gaze, your heart swelling. Noticing that Daphne was saying goodbye to the rest of your family, you walked up to Simon.

"I wish you well, Simon. My sister deserves your kindness and your respect, but above all, she deserves your love. I sincerely hope that you too find happiness together."

"Thank you, Y/N. I only wish that you find the same," he replied, smiling softly.

Looking into his eyes and returning his smile, you turned to see Daphne looking up at the house that you had both grown up in and had many fond memories of. You grabbed her hand and kissed her cheek, "I love you dear sister. You must write to me often."

"You know I will, I love you."

Watching as she climbed into the carriage, followed by Simon, you went to stand by the rest of your family, hugging Anthony from the side. He gave your hand another reassuring squeeze, before you all waved to the couple who were driving off to begin their married life together.

And whilst it hurt you to see Simon go, you knew that every day that pain would lessen, and for the first time in a while, you felt relieved that you would finally begin to let go.

-----