Chapter 1 - "Really?"

Song of the chapter-
See Me Now - Little mix
(I couldn't find any version that would play on here that wasn't sped up, sorry)
May 2014

S A M

The bell that signals the end of classes rings, telling us that it is finally summer. Well, for people that don't participate in spring and summer sports that is. For me though, I have to hurry and get my stuff from my locker, then go back to the locker room where I just exited because of P.E., so I can change for softball. Our game is here today, and it's against our rivals, which I am not looking forward to. Especially in this sweltering heat.

As I walk back towards the gym and locker rooms, my friends Jessica and Olivia join me. The chatter perkily to me like they always do, and I zone out like I always do until we get to the locker room. They're my only real friends here that I've made since the others left. I'm not very into getting to know people and putting in the effort of making friends. Thankfully, Jess and Liv were in my homeroom at the beginning of the year, and they came and sat in front of me and beside me, and turned around and started talking about All Time Low's new music video.

Now, that was definitely a subject I was interested in. Especially since on of my main goals in life was to become one of their groupies, not that it was ever going to happen. I have only seen them live in concert once, and had never seen a glimpse of them in real life since.

So, naturally, I joined in their conversation, and before the bell rang, I found out I had classes with at least one of them until second semester. Second semester, the only class I didn't have with them was last period P.E.

But back to reality.

"Samantha! Samantha!" West Brian calls as he exits the locker room and sees me walking down the back hall that takes you behind them gym.

"Hey," I greet him.

"Hey," he returns, hugging me quickly. "Just wanted to wish you luck, babe. Coach is going to be pissed, I'm already late."

"Then go, you idiot," I roll my eyes kissing his cheek.

"Will do," He says, turning around towards the door at the end of the hall that leads to the buses. "Oh, and good luck, all of you!" He calls.

"You, too!" My best friends and I call back as we enter the locker room.

Just to be clear, West is not my boyfriend. He's my stepbrother. Once upon a time, his mom married my dad earlier this year. My mom died when I was too young to remember, and his dad left when he found out his mom was pregnant with West. So now I have a stepbrother, and he has a stepsister. And they lived happily ever after. The end. Actually, I'm not even sure what happens. But my main point is West is my brother, and we are not committing incest like everyone at this fucking school thought we were when our parents married.

I change into my sports bra and put on my red and black jersey with my lucky number 9 on the back, along with the nickname of FIREARM in bold, black letters. I pull on my spandex and skin tight sliding shorts before pulling up my regulation black shorts, which also have my number on them. I grab my hair brush and go to the mirror before brushing back my long, brown hair into a ponytail. I put on my long, red and black knee high socks and fold them to just below my knee. Lastly, I pull on my cleats that, of course, have my number on them. It'slike people thought we would lose them or switch them around, I swear.

I grab my equipment bag and walk out to the dugout, hanging it up, before grabbing my glove. After a half hour of stretching and running laps, the other team arrives, and my team takes the field and start doing passing and batting drills. The other team copies us out in the field as the bleachers start filling up. The umpire signals we have seven minutes until the game starts and we head into the dugout, where Coach Ron gives us a pep talk. When he's done, he glances to me.