18. the back-up plan

"ICONIC DIVA TRIO!"

SINCE SANTANA WAS BACK IN NEW YORK, SHE DECIDED TO WORK BACK AT THE SPOTLIGHT DINER

SINCE SANTANA WAS BACK IN NEW YORK, SHE DECIDED TO WORK BACK AT THE SPOTLIGHT DINER. she also encouraged jade to work with her, since jade was trying to save some money for an apartment for her and sam. jade wasn't so sure of working at the diner, since she had never had a job before because she never had the time. but, somehow, santana encouraged her and now the two girls are working together.

the first day working at the diner, jade was really nervous because she wasn't a social person like santana. santana made it easy to talk to people and ask them what they wanted from the menu. at first, jade would have a stuttering problem, leaving some of the costumers with confused expressions. that changed though, as jade kept coming everyday for work.

she was a bit surprised to see that she still had time for school and to go on dates with sam. she was a bit afraid of how sam was going to react when she first got the job at the diner, but he was a very supportive boyfriend and sometimes, he would visit her. jade thought the only reason why sam visited her was because of her waitress uniform.

today, santana and jade were walking to mercedes apartment, where blaine and sam lived as well. the two girls talked about what they were going to do with mercedes once she got back from the studio. they were thinking of going shopping or walking around new york. what surprised them when they opened the door, since jade had a spare key thanks to sam, was that mercedes was there instead of being at the studio.

"what are you doing home so early?" jade asked, placing her bag on the couch and fixed her low ponytail.

santana placed her bag next to jade's, also wondering the same thing. "yeah, i thought you'd be in the recording studio all day."

"yeah, well, my producer just listened to the final cut of my album, and in his words: "didn't hear a single."" mercedes explained, making jade and santana gasped quietly. "now he's worried that the label won't give it a release date."

"wait, what?" the two girls said, making mercedes nod. "and you're just gonna listen to these morons?" santana said, crossing her arms across her chest.

jade was on santana's side, copying her motions. "do they know that any song mercedes jones sings is a hit and deserves awards?"

mercedes smiled, thanking jade quietly. "you know, if i don't get backed by the label, that means that i won't get any airplay, which means i;m just another no-hit wonder."

santana sighed, taking a seat in front of her. "well, you would, uh, still be doing a hell of a lot better than me." she received frowns from both jade and mercedes. "i say me because jade is killing it with her school, and you are obviously gonna be a pop star when those morons get their mind back together. i would kill to be you right now, mercedes. thinking about creating the perfect single to save my record deal."