Chapter 4: Sirius

"Wait, how about you guys? Have you all got someone yet?" asked James, facing his three friends. Silence filled the air as James nodded in response. Sirius, being the humourous one out of the four, felt the need to be the person who breaks the awkward atmosphere.

"Well, a lot of girls have asked me, of course. In fact a dozen, if I have been counting correctly" he said, as Remus frowned in confusion.

"You? A dozen?" he asked.

Regardless of if Remus was going to believe him or not, it was true that a lot of girls have asked Sirius to the Yule Ball. Well, yes, about a dozen, give or take. Despite his (mostly) humble attitude, he himself knew how girls talked about it. However it wasn't always like this. In the first few years in Hogwarts, Slytherins would mock him, telling him that he's a disgrace to the Black family bloodline, and Gryffindors would avoid him for being a "misfit". Frankly, Sirius didn't care. It would be a lie if he said that it didn't bug him a bit, but with his group of friends, he felt like he belonged.

It all changed in the third year. That was the year everyone was growing up, learning to see things in a new way. Sirius was already well-known for being the first Gryffindor in the Black family, however it seemed to be like that wasn't the only thing he was becoming well-known for. Girls swooned over his long black hair that brushed against his cheeks, his dark eyes that seemed to be giving killer glances everywhere he looked. He was an academically smart student, a troublemaker from time to time. However he never seemed to really give any of the girls any attention. Romance is a waste of time, he'd say. Perhaps that was the reason why Sirius rejected every single- except for one- of the dozen girls who asked him to the Yule Ball.

"Yes, a dozen." Sirius replied. Remus scoffed in response.

"And? Who's the unlucky lady?" he snickered, while Sirius found himself a seat on one of those snuggy-looking crimson red armchairs. He caught a glance of y/n before replying to Remus, and something told him that she seemed to be seemingly engaged in the conversation between him and Remus. Sirius liked this.

"Well," started Sirius, after a moment of hesitation. "No one, actually." he said, as he glanced at y/n for a split second, as if he was waiting for some sort of a reaction from her. James likewise found himself a seat across Sirius.

"Good for them. Got spared from a heartbreak." said James, chuckling as he sunk down on another armchair.

"Oh, shut up, Potter." Sirius snickered. He looked at y/n once again, noticing that she's already left the room and so did Remus. Sirius didn't exactly know why, but a feeling in his gut told him that he felt disappointed. As if he had expected anything.

"Speaking of," he said.

"Hm?" James replied.

"Do you think Remus already asked y/n?"

"To the Ball?"

"What else would I be talking about?"

"I suppose, maybe." said James.

Sirius didn't know why he cared so much. Not only about the two, but about y/n, alone. But he has asked himself during the sleepless nights that maybe it was because she was there since the beginning, the beginning when it seemed like he didn't belong in this world. Surely he had the other Marauders, but something about the way he felt towards y/n was something more than just a friendship. Something about the way she never failed to smile at even his simplest jokes made his heart skip a beat. But he wouldn't let himself fall for a girl, would he?

"Why did you lie?" James said as he poured a cup of water. Sirius looked at James with a confused face.

"What do you mean?" He asked. James held up the bottle of water he had in hand.

"Water?"

"No thanks." replied Sirius, still confused.

"I know you said yes to Donna." said James, sitting down on the couch once again. "She told me."

Sirius turned his head away as he let out a sigh.
"I... did plan to break it off with her soon, thought there's no need in addressing all that." he replied.

"You don't like her?" James asked, taking a sip from his cup.

"She's a good friend, I'll admit. But..."

"But?"

"I think I like someone else."