Chapter VI

"Ya know, even after all the action you two bring, I still get a thrill watching the games," Nima heard Greez admit from the cockpit as she got some water.

"As long as you keep your habits in check," Cere commented.

"Oh, yeah, no, of course. I'm... I'm just a spectator. No gambling, or... nothing goin' on."

"Really?" the woman asked dubiously, causing Nima to grin as she took a sip.

"Yeah. We're talking pure entertainment. Nothing gets me going more than watching a couple of slubs square off. Just slick moves and brute force!" He made some fight noises, punching the air with his free pair of arms as Nima strolled up next to Cal who was selecting the course to Kashyyyk.

"Captain, I am slightly troubled by your enthusiasm for something so... barbaric."

"Oh, yeah, I mean... I, uh... it is. True. Totally barbaric. But still... kind of entertaining."

She went to the cockpit and peeked her head in. "Hey, Captain."

The Latero glanced over his shoulder, startled. "Uh, yeah?"

"I wanna make a bet with you. A safe bet," she added upon seeing Cere's disapproving glare.

He raised a gray brow. "Shoot."

The scrapper grinned. "I want to see how long you can last without gambling. If you can last this whole mission without giving in to temptation, I will fix any and all damage that happened to this ship for free. If you lose..." A devilish grin dressed her lips. "...then I get to pilot the Mantis whenever I want. After you teach me the controls, obviously."

His eyes narrowed, but she could feel his intrigue. "What's the catch?"

"No catch. Just a fun little game I thought you'd be interested in."

His lips tightened in thought. She could sense a slight bit of hesitance and doubt for a moment, but it quickly vanished as he smiled. "You're on, kid."

She beamed and reached out to shake his hand before she let Cal pass to sit in the co-pilot chair, hanging on to the small railing above to keep herself steady.

Greez glanced at the redhead as he seated himself. "I like her. She's fun."

Cal chuckled, looking back at the noirette. "She sure is."

Nima sent him a wink, clicking her tongue.

The crew suddenly lurched a bit as the ship came out of hyperdrive, and Cal heard his friend giggle in excitement. His eyes focused on what was outside the windshield, grinning at the sight of the planet.

White clouds could be seen scattered about in the atmosphere. The land was luscious and green, full of life. The oceans were a sapphire blue, the system's star glistening off the water.

"Welcome to Kashyyyk, Nima," he heard Cere declare. "What do you think?"

Cal's brows furrowed in confusion when he didn't hear a response. He turned his chair, frowning. "Nima?"

Her jaw was practically on the floor, her eyes wide with awe as she stared at the planet in wonder. "It's amazing," she murmured in a voice so gentle that he had never heard before. Her gaze met his, and he caught a glimpse of her he had never seen— tender and docile and benign, not witty and mischievous and full of vigor. She grinned.

Something about that smile made his stomach flip. He wanted to make her smile like that every day. He wanted to protect that smile.

He couldn't help smiling back.