chapter nine

Adela sat on the edge of the ship, her feet dangling over the water. The wind blew past her hair and through her dress. It was moderately quiet, apart from the singing coming from Reepicheep just above where she was sitting.

Adela didn't mind it, though. The song was quite nice. All of a sudden, she felt a light poke at her back. She turned around, and was met with a sword pointed at her throat.

She glanced down at the sword, then back up at the person holding it. Edmund smiled down at her.

"Now?" She alternated her gaze between the sword and his face.

"Yes, come on. You're not afraid are you?" He lowered the sword. Adela smirked. She stood up and faced him. "Not in the slightest." She pulled out her sword and held it by her side.

Edmund beamed. They began a playful sword fight. Edmund was the first to swing his sword. It began simple. Every swing that the other would make, either Edmund or Adela would block it with ease.

As they fought, the sailors on the boat slowly began to gather around and watch in amusement. Edmund backed Adela up near a wall. She swung her sword, causing him to back away.

Adela was more concentrated with a determined look on her face while Edmund was laughing.

"Come on." Adela teased as she took notice of Edmund's pause.

Edmund chuckled. He swung at her feet, but she jumped. With every miss, they grew more desperate to win.

"You won last time we did this. Let me win now." Edmund joked.

Adela scoffed. She took a step closer to him. Their swords collided. Adela spun around to try and knock away Edmund's weapon.

Edmund moved his sword, resulting in their two faces becoming very close. At each of their chests, was the other's sword. The sailors all cheered and clapped.

Adela smiled at Edmund's joyful expression. "Not a chance." She backed away. "You've grown stronger." She stated.

Edmund smirked. "Seems I have."  Edmund patted her on the shoulder in a playful fashion. As he walked off, Adela shook her head in amusement. She remained in place. Caspian stood beside her.

"Alright, back to work!" Ordered the captain from the top deck.

"That was amazing." Caspian whispered to his cousin.

"Thanks to you." The brown-haired princess smiled. She spotted Edmund making his way down the deck to Lucy. She followed after him.

"Edmund." Began Lucy. "Do you think if we keep sailing to the end of the world we'll just... tip of the edge?" She questioned.

"There is no end of the world. At least, I don't think there is." Commented Adela as she approached the two of them. She wrapped an arm around Edmund.

"Don't worry, Lu. We're a long way from there." Assured Edmund with a comforting smile. "That is, if there really is an end to the world." He glanced back at Adela.

"I see you're still talking nonsense, the two of you." Said another voice angrily. They all turned to the side, where Eustace, now awake, walked to stand beside Adela.

"Are you feeling better?" Asked Lucy considerately. Adela and Edmund shared expecting expressions.

"Yes, no thanks to her." Eustace glared at Adela. "It's lucky I have an iron constitution." He crosses his arms. Adela scoffed.

"As effervescent as ever, I see." Spoke Reepicheep. "Find your sea legs?" The mouse teased. Eustace was calmer to the fact that the mouse had spoken than he was before.