I

Just a quick note that any characters playing themselves (eg Brooke, Corpse etc) are only based off of the real person and I have adapted them to contextualise and enhance the story :)

••••

Giselle was a small town girl who didn't experience much excitement in her life. She was from a normal town, with a normal family, a normal upbringing and was following a painfully normal path in her, somewhat early, years of life. She has grown up on a farm in upstate New York with her parents and her little sister, as well as her brother, although he was much older so they didn't really share their childhoods. Giselle had a small circle of friends at the schools she attended, which were somewhat of a commute from her remote town. That had been something she craved in growing up and moving on to University; somewhere busy. Also, somewhere that didn't get so cold was high up on her list too. That's how she found herself on the west coast.

During her University years, where she was able to experiment with countless things at which the small-town mindset she used to possess would be horrified, branch out into new avenues and friendships, as well as find herself, albeit a little wilder than she'd expected, she met Brooke. They had been friends since freshman year, having been allocated as dorm mates. They hit it off right away, both wanting to have a bit of fun with their newfound freedom. They studied together, partied, played games, travelled, and a lot more things that neither would care to admit. However, after University, they took different paths, which found Brooke in the public eye and Giselle back in her very normal lifestyle. She worked part-time at her aunt's dog grooming salon in Sacramento while she looked for a graduate job or decided to do a panic post-graduate degree, she hadn't decided which would be easier. This barely provided enough for her though, so along with a bit of financial help from her parents back home, she was forced to have some side hustles too.

She thought she'd seen on Brooke's Instagram that she was now in Los Angeles, but they hadn't spoken in a while. Giselle was nervous to reach out to Brooke, with her being successful and even possibly famous? Fame changed people, she knew that much, and her average life was probably too average to be able to have good conversation with Brooke anymore. It was a shame to her, they had a really good friendship but just turned out to be totally different people in the end, it appeared.

It was lonely for Giselle in Sacramento. She had minimal family there, none of which she was particularly close to. She hadn't been able to make many friends because she felt like all she did was work and apply to jobs. It made her want to reach out to her old University friends, but the thought of her messages being aired now they were all high-flying successes made her very anxious.

She was slumped on the sofa in her window just watching the world go by, flicking through social media apps on her phone for some form of light entertainment for a very boring Sunday morning. It was all pretty plain, the usual of her friends going through major life milestones with Giselle feeling inadequate in that respect. Her friends were posting about getting promotions, sharing pregnancy announcements, getting engaged, buying homes. Then she came across a tweet from Brooke thanking her fans for 500,000 followers. Even Brooke, the person she had done the exact same things with and studied the same and partied the same, had managed to get ahead of her. She wasn't jealous though, she felt a sense of pride that her one best friend had come so far. She supposed that was what prompted her to finally reach out.

gisellemaple

hey brooke, how've you been?! i wanted to say congrats :)

^ on the 500k lol

That couldn't have been more awkward if she tried. She was pretty sure she'd still get a reply, though, given their relationship prior, even if it was just a thank you she'd feel better that she made the effort.