III

Giselle awoke later than usual, her job being so casual that she didn't feel the obligation to go, especially now Eli had been shown the ropes and would no doubt be punctual and have perfect attendance. He seemed like that sort of person; you have to be dedicated to what you do to be a veterinary student, after all, Giselle reasoned. She hadn't got much sleep in the end the previous night, as, when she'd finished texting Corpse, their interaction was all she could think about. She read the messages back, thinking about how she felt earlier that day and what Brooke had told her. Why did he put a kiss on the end of the message? Is that just what good guys do? Was she over-analysing it? Probably. In fact, almost definitely. Nevertheless, her thoughts kept her up into the small hours, questioning everything.

She turned over in bed to check her phone, unsure of how she felt, perhaps hoping for another message from him? Alas, no message from Corpse. Equally exciting, though, she saw a message from Brooke.

brooke

hey! it's been great catching up! i was just wondering what your schedule looked like, it'd be cool to see you!

giselle

it's very quiet actually, i'd love to see you!

brooke

come stay with me?

giselle

if you wouldn't mind that sounds so fun!

when should i come?

brooke

literally whenever! you could drive here today or tomorrow?

giselle

yesssss! i'll see you later today?

brooke

amazing! i'll send you my address

i'm so excited!

giselle

me too! thank you so much!

brooke

<3

It would be a long journey from Sacramento to Los Angeles, so Giselle immediately sprung from her bed, throwing the duvet up towards the pillows to make it look a little less messy. Despite the many hours on the road ahead, she was excited to have some human contact with someone her age and someone she would call a friend.

Unsure of how long her stay with Brooke would be, Giselle put a few different outfit options into a reasonable sized bag, along with some personal items like jewellery. Once she was certain everything she needed was packed, she got herself ready to leave, grabbing a bottle of wine from her fridge before leaving.

Once in her car, she texted Brooke letting her know she was about to leave. Throughout the drive, Giselle had a Spotify Top Hits playlist playing to which she would occasionally quietly hum; she wasn't much of a singer, not while she was sober, anyway.

After around six hours on the road, only having stopped once to fill up her car with fuel and stretch her legs, she was finally in Brooke's neighbourhood. Giselle was intently focussed on the directions coming from her phone's GPS by this point since she wasn't known for being very good at finding her way around unfamiliar places.

Upon location of Brooke's building, Giselle parked her car in the underground lot and took the lift up to Brooke's floor, where she buzzed at the main door to be let in. She was greeted by a bubbly sounding Brooke who swiftly let her in and soon after came running down the hall to meet her.