Chapter 1 | Golden

"That's it. I'm going to tell him today." Irisida proclaimed with her arm latched onto Bucky's.

Bucky stopped in his steps.

"Tell who what?" He questioned the bright young lady, now standing in front of him.

Ms. Castille stood her ground but Bucky could never take the tiny creature seriously. How could he when said tiny creature was a foot shorter than him. She was a dwarf, or at least that's what Steve called her when he wanted her to leave, which he rarely did. Her black hair sat well with her rather fair complexion. It was cut short which was strange for a lady in her position but when had Iris ever followed what society, or more specifically her mother had taught her? She was truly quirky like that. Her brown eyes tied everything together. They would glisten in the sun sometimes and the other times, they would look black. Steve would argue that it depended on her mood and she would respond with the same line she'd used every time since the first he brought it up, "One of us should've payed attention in Physics when Mrs. Darla was teaching color reflection and it's not me."

"Steve, Bucky. I'm going to tell him how I feel about him." She said excitedly.

It had been 8 years since Irisida had met Steve Rogers for the first time. And yet, every time she talked about him, saw him or even simply thought about him, her eyes glimmered just the same

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Irisida Noor Castille hated being the new girl. When she found out that she had to go live with her dad in Brooklyn, she threw a fit. The middle of the school year and the only school to accept was one on the lower east side. So here was she was, a dainty seventh grader eating her lunch on the edge of the park while everyone else gossiped like the world revolved around them.

"I'll give you half my mac and cheese if you give me one of your sandwiches," said a black haired boy with a skinny blonde at his side.

Wanting to be left alone she turned her head the other way.

"So I go home yesterday and my mom is standing in the doorway with the grocery list I 'forgot' at home." The black haired boy says as both of them sit down right beside her.

The other one introduces them.

"I'm Steve, and this is Bucky."

"Iris." She says thinking of ways to escape.

"That's neat." Steve says fixing the tie he wore around his neck.

Bucky started feasting on his macaroni while Steve stuck his nose in the pile of homework he'd brought out with him.

"And then I go to the bus stop and while I'm waiting guess who I see? Sydney Parker. I try to make small talk with her but as soon as I start the weather line my father taught me, she asks me if I want to go to the arcade with her." Bucky starts.

"Yeah and said date would've been so good and you're practically married now and I think that's exactly why she's now sitting over there under the tree flirting with Mark Scott," Iris points out.

Steve and Bucky were taken aback, well Bucky was more offended than amused, but Steve looked very much interested on what other piece of critique the young lady had to offer.

"I appreciate your concern but she's not flirting with him." Bucky retorted.

"No, I think she is Bucky, look." Steve points to a now giggling Sydney.

"No. She's not." Bucky rolls his eye.

"I think you should go up to her and ask her if she wants to go out with you again." Suggested Iris. Her and Steve were laughing now, all but completely in sync. That's the day she saw his blue eyes for the first time, and she hadn't forgotten its precise blue since.