The pretty girl from before was back at the cemetery only two days later. I suppose she was unaware of the unspoken rule that cemeteries are supposed to be quiet and respectful, because I heard her shouting for "the nice little blonde girl".

I ran to her quickly, hoping her yelling wouldn't disturb any mourners or wake the dead. When I found her, she was standing by the same grave as before, two roses in hand.

"Do you know who left these?" She asked. "I didn't think anybody liked her this much."

Wow, the more I hear about this girl, the more I feel bad for her. "I left them," I told her. "Yellow and white. Yellow for friendship and white for new beginnings."

The girl smiled at me. "Thank you," she said, "for honouring her memory without even knowing her. She would have liked you. What's your name, by the way?"

"I'm Chaewon." I held out a hand, but she didn't shake it, so I cleared my throat awkwardly. "And you?"

"Hyejoo." Huh, Hyejoo. What a pretty name.

Normally I try not to ask about how people died. I think I should just let their loved ones mourn. Sometimes people tell me their stories without me asking, and other times I know nothing other than the fact that the death was heartbreaking.

But the way Hyejoo stared at that headstone, I knew there was a story there. I just didn't know how to ask for it.

"Um... forgive me if this is disrespectful," I whispered, "But, how did she die?"

Hyejoo sighed and shut her eyes. I was about to apologise, but she cut me off. "OD."

Oh. I shouldn't have asked.

"I'm so sorry to hear that. I know you said you can't go to her family, but if you ever need somebody to listen, I'm here," I offered. "I may not have known her, but you did, and you should take your time to grieve however you need to."

Hyejoo smiled sadly. "You know, I think I would like to talk. Next time I visit, I'll find you."

posted a day early to make up for being late