Blistering Heat

It was summer now, the winter months a thing of the past.

Not that I was complaining in any way, winters here were brutally cold, but the summers were a different story. The blistering heat nipped at us, warming us more than we ever wanted.

At least in the colder months we could warm up during training, but as those months flew by I found myself sluggishly whacking Kai with a wooden sword that I had recently been promoted too.

The dark haired boy had no energy of his own, he had stopped blocking me as he now used his free arm to stop the fat beads of sweat from falling into his eyes.

With one final thwack, my sword hit the ground. I panted as I felt the cold sweat on the back of my neck boil into my skin.

Rahim, however, had other plans. The boy didn't feel the extreme weather, and did he use it to his advantage. Full to the brim with energy he came from behind me, pushing my shoulder to turn me around to fight him.

I groaned as I saw his face, and he grimaced looking at mine.

He shook it off, a smile on his tan face as he got into position. His legs wide, almost in a squat- two hands on his sword, and a devilish look gleaming in his eyes. "Find your footing Charis."

"Find mah wha?" I asked, huffing as I lifted a hand to block the bright rays of the sky demon from assaulting my eyes.

Rahim squinted, not understanding my lack of heat tolerance. But he took it to his advantage, swiping my defenseless position, and my legs gave out and I fell face first into the patch of grass we were on.

The sandy hair boy gasped, looking over at Kai who watched my motionless body.

"Charis?" He whispered, kicking my limp body softly, "Oh my god, Kai. I killed her."

"You didn't kill her-"

"She's not breathing-"

"No, I can see her breathing-"

"What do I do?!"

"Wake her up."

"From what, the dead?"

"She's not dead."

"Ares is going to kill me-"

"Ares is gonna kill Charis if she doesn't stop sleeping during training." The man spoke, coming out of nowhere. He was referring to himself in the third person, I would have laughed if I could find the energy to do so.

Kai jumped up, the heat fatigue wearing off in Ares' presence.

The blue eyed man flickered his gaze over to Kai, who was pleading with Rahim to practice dueling with him- in an effort to make it look like they were doing something.

Rahim took the hint and began clashing wooden swords with each other, while I basked in the new shade Ares was providing.

"Get up, runt."

I groaned in response.

"Charis."

"It's too hot."

"I don't care."

I wailed, and Ares shoved me with his foot to get me to quiet down.

"Everyone else has no problem with the heat, you shouldn't either."

I forced myself up, leaning on my palms as I extended my arms. Whipping my head back, Ares took in the state of my red cheeks. "Well, I am not everyone." I stated the obvious.

He crossed his arms, glaring down at me. "Yeah, everyone else is much better than you, Kai and Rahim included."

My teeth clenched in frustration.