The Intruder

Written by Sam Gardner Jr.
Copyright of Sam Gardner Jr.

What is that awful noise? It sounds like somebody is on the other side of the wall. Make it stop.

Somehow, they got in. They're definitely inside now. I thought I was dreaming it, but there it is again. Please make it stop. What do they want? Have they come to kill me?

I can't just lie here and do nothing, but it's so dark. How long have I been sleeping? What was that crash?

My possessions! NO! NO! My possessions! They're taking my possessions! I can't just lie here. I can't lie here and let them take my things. It would take another lifetime to build that collection up again. I have to stop them.

Maybe they thought there was no one else here? Maybe if I cry out, they will leave? My throat is so dry, I can't even feel my tongue. How long have I been sleeping? No, don't cry out.  I don't want to lose that element of surprise. I still don't know how big they are or how many there are? Or if they carry any weapons?

I have to get up. I have to confront them. Maybe I could use a weapon? Maybe I could pounce on them before they see me coming? Yes, I could use a knife. What if I stab one and another jumps out on me from the shadows? Why is it so dark? I need to stop thinking and just act. I need to get up.

The cover is off, no wonder it's so cold. The linen is so tight around me, doing its best to keep me warm. It aches to sit up. How long have I been sleeping in this position? My bones feel trapped. I need to get my arms free.  I need to move around before the aching truly sets in. There! My arms are free. It's so cold, but I still need to uncover my legs.
Good, that's really good, now stand. I feel faint and dizzy. I need a drink. No! I drink once I've confronted them.

It's so dark , why can't I find a knife? There, that's it. Careful, careful, don't cut yourself.  That's it, feel along gently, gently until you find the handle.  That's it, walk slowly, follow the wall until you reach the passageway. Now, follow with your fingers along the passageway. There, up there, there's a light. It's so bright, it's almost blinding. That's where they are. That's where they are.

Don't hesitate for a moment. Stab them. Stab them in the eye. Stab them in the heart if you have to. Don't give them the opportunity to hurt you. Do it. No, no, I'm trembling. I can't. But I must. There he is. I can hardly see him. What's he wearing? It's so bright. There he is, that no-good thief, bagging up my things. That's it, stampede toward him and knock him down to the ground. That's it, lift the knife high, plunge it down into his chest. He's resisting. You have to overpower him. There, that's it. What's he saying? It's hard to understand, he's so quiet and breathless. It sounds like he's saying sorry. Well, it's too late for apologies thief. You were a fool to come here and now you're paying for it with your life. You were a fool to disturb my treasures and my tomb. Do you not know who I am or what you have unleashed here? Do you not know of my wrath? Do you not know the curse of King Ramhat the Second?