No Turning Back

"Finally!" Aiden groans as we reach the highway. You know, for him to be so fit, he sure is lazy as hell.

"We need to move quickly, we don't know what the walker situation is here." Ashley says.

"The city was overrun the last time Spencer and I were here." Glen says looking around at the group.

"Let's move it then. Find two or three suitable SUV's preferably already with a least a half a tank of gas. We don't have time to siphon gas here." Tim instructs the group and we all do as we're told. "Search for any other supplies we may need as well." He adds. Everyone moves quickly, looking in cars supplies as well as vehicles for us to travel in.

"You think mom and dad will let me ride in the car with Aiden?" Glen questions as we pull some medical supplies from a car and put them in our bags.

"What?" I ask confused.

"To Atlanta." He clarifies. "The seating arrangements have pretty much already been picked out." He adds.

"Glen, what are you talking about?" I ask as we move on to the next car.

"Tim and his family are gonna ride with Carmen family. Me, you, mom, dad and that Jackie lady. And Ashley and the rest of her group." He says.

Oh... I never even thought of that.

"Oh." Is all I say to my brother, thinking about the idea of not seeing Ashley for hours at a time while we travel across the country.

"You didn't think about it, did you?" Glen asks reading my face.

"No." I shake my head.

"Maybe we could ask to switch with Owen and Leo." Glen suggests. It seems kind of selfish that we just got mom and dad back but all Glen and I want to do is spend all our time with Ashley and Aiden. "You gonna ask?" He turns to me with a worried look.

Glen can be so scary.

"Fine." I say and roll my eyes at him. He smiles and goes back to scavenging.

"You know how to hot wire a car?" I ask Ashley as she plays with some wires under the steering wheel console.

"Since I was twelve." She says and smiles.

"Is there anything you can't do?" I ask hoping into the passenger seat. Everyone is packing the scavenged goods into the three cars we've chosen. The keys were in the other two. Who takes the keys when they're running from zombies? Who thinks 'yeah, there's zombies chasing me but I want to make sure my car doesn't get stolen so let me take my car keys with me?'

"I can't stop thinking about your lips." She says, looking straight in my eyes as the engine roars to life. I clear my throat before speaking.

"I should..." I trail off and point behind us. Yeah, she has that effect on me. I jump out of the van and walk back to the jeep my parent's were loading.

"Ready?" My dad asks with a smile. Glen comes up behind my parents would a look of worry on his face. I shake my head and turn back to my father.

"Dad, Glen and I were wondering if we could ride with Ashley and Aiden." I say without hesitation and Glen cringes and awaits his answer.

"Sure." My dad says and both Glen and I share a look.

"Really?" I question. I actually wasn't expecting a yes.

"Mhm." My dad nods as he loads the last bag into the trunk of the jeep.

"Thanks dad." I say and hug him.